Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
My oldest kitty does things like this. Basically if she wants in something, be it drawers, cabinets, bags, and so on, she'll find a way to get in. We actually had to put a child proof lock on our pantry because Nerine was getting in and ripping open bags of chips and cat treats and whatnot.

Other than keeping your purse zipped (mine has a zipper, anyway) the only option I can think of would be to just put it up somewhere, especially if she's doing it when you're not in the room to catch her.

· Registered
4 Posts
Cat's are stubborn. If she does it when you are there, make a loud noise or squirt with a water bottle to startle her. This may work. It doesn't work for my kitty but it is possible! :)

You could also try Feliway spray and spray it in the area you lay your purse or on your purse itself. This obviously won't work if you don't have a particular space you lay your purse or if you don't want to spray your purse with some chemical (I wouldn't!)

We have a coat rack in our hall that I hang my purse on. It is better that way so that the pets don't get it, so it doesn't get damaged, and so I can always find it. This is really your best option if she is doing it when you are not around. Good Luck!

· Registered
263 Posts
Does she take the cash too?

My cat footie (tabby)which is a mama girl likes to take everything out of my purse if i leave it down .
any idea how i can get her to stop other then putting it up?
Putting it out of reach is the only option I know of. For the cats I have found that I can place my purse (which I cannot close completely due to the constant overflowing mess inside LOL ) under a throw quilt on the sofa or a chair and the kitties generally don't get into it.

My bigger problem is teenagers who don't just remove things like the kitties to bite and play with, but actually remove the cash.....haven't found a solution to that one.

· Registered
760 Posts
If you don't want her in it, put it away where she can't get to it. And make sure you give her plenty of interactive play time every day with toys other than what's in your purse. :)

Since she likes to rummage give her her own bag with her own toys in it. Preferably an old purse of yours, because, one of the reasons she likes your purse is because it IS yours and smells like you.

· Registered
594 Posts
what do you mean cats like to get into bags?

No kidding...Skweek loves to get into whatever bags she can, shopping, luggage, handbags..wish I had a picture.

And she likes to rub against my purse, but i keep it closed so she doesn't get into it.

· Registered
37 Posts
Lordy, my calico McKenzie LOVES plastic shopping bags ! If you put one on the floor, she races to it and makes sure all of her is on top of it like the carpet suddenly turned into a lake 10 ft deep ! That plastic bag becomes safe territory !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.