Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new here on these forums. I came across them recently and I've been reading for a while. I have read a lot of very good and interesting information, so I decided to post and see what anyone can make of what's going on in our house.

Let me start out by saying we have three cats. Mickey turned 15 in July and I've had him since he was 8 weeks old. He's a tiger. He is my lover cat. He sits on my chest with an arm around each side of my neck like he's hugging me. Hayley is our 2nd cat. She is about 6-7 years old. We rescued her from a shelter when she was about 5 months old. She is a calico. She's affectionate when she wants to be, but she's probably the most aloof of the 3. Our third cat is Kanga. She is a very pretty cat, not sure what her parents were since our kids found her in a ditch when she couldn't have been more than 4-5 weeks old. She was pure white with blue eyes and she was infested beyond belief with fleas. On her white fur all you could see was black spots moving. It was horrific. I kept her in the 2nd bathroom and got her all fixed up. The vet treated her fleas and she became a member of the family. As she has gotten older (she'll be 2 next month) she has had a few spots of color come up here and there. She is a longer haired cat. I'll have to post a picture of the 3 of them when I get a chance.

So now that you have a little background, here's the scoop. When Mickey was around 4 years old (and my only cat) he had a blockage (crystals) and all that entails. Since that time he has not consistently gone in the litter box. He will poop on the rug outside the box and has taken in the last year to peeing there as well. He has been checked by the vet regularly and has absolutely no problems. I got rid of the rug and he just started going in another spot so I was like well, forget that, I'm just going to leave the rug and wash it each evening because I don't want him going other places in the house. Now we have Kanga. Kanga is peeing in our bathroom. It is driving me insane. Kanga, too, has been checked more than 3 times at the vet because I know that if a cat is going outside the box it can signal health problems. That was my first thing to do and we've done it a few times since. We have plenty of cat litter boxes in various places in the house, plenty of privacy, and we have been using the Cat Attract litter for close to a year (it does not seem to help and costs an arm and a leg, especially with as many boxes as we have!) We have treated the floor with Nature's Miracle, we did the black light, got new rugs, pretty much everything shy of removing all of the carpet from our home. I don't know what to do any more. With Mickey, we pretty much concede that he is 15 years old and if he poops on the rug outside his box, then that's what he's going to do. He's a senior cat and I know realistically (as much as just the thought of it breaks my heart) that he probably only has at the most a few years left. But Kanga is a baby, just 2 years old. I cannot have this cat peeing in the bathroom every day. I feel like I have tried everything I know to try and nothing is working. And I know some people say, "If I had a cat peeing in my house she'd be on the street!" but we would never do that. When we take on pets, we take them on for life. Pets are a responsibility and a commitment. We wouldn't throw a child out on the street and while humans and animals are different, we would not throw our pets out either. So I'm looking for alternatives or solutions that maybe we haven't tried yet, though I feel like we've done all of the tricks that we've read and heard about.

Thank you for taking the time to read. I appreciate it greatly and look forward to reading your responses!

Edited to add: all three cats are spayed/neutered and all 3 are strictly indoor only cats.

·
Registered
580 Posts
What type of litter box are you using?

Also have you heard of feliway? Its been a miracle cure here. Our first cat has issues because he wasn't socialized as a very young kitten and didn't really have a mother either. So he plays very rough. Anyway within hours feliway was helping calm him. He didn't attack Harley for 4 weeks straight (well once when we had company stay the night), and normally in a 4 week period he would have attacked Harley 18+ times. He has also adjusted to the kitten much better. We went one and a half weeks without feliway and I quickly realized it wasn't luck that made the attacking end, it was the feliway. So I bought a 3 month supply.

I've also heard many stories of people saying it helps with litter box issues etc. Might be worth a shot.

Leslie

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
I think I would also change your litter. IMO, cats *know* what the litterboxes are for and if they are avoiding them, it is for some reason. Even if it is an obscure reason that only the cat understands. Can you try using shredded newspaper in the bathroom litterbox for Kanga? Maybe a ratty-old towel in the box? Different litter?

For your old guy, you could use a 'carpet protector mat' and place a rug/towel over that for his potty-area. I did that (towel in a tray) with a kitty we had with a spinal tumor and he couldn't stand/balance in the shifting clay litter. Eventually, he couldn't stand at all or step over the lip of a tray so I gave him the flat carpet protector with a towel on it and he could drag himself over to it. I think they know, they try. I think yours are asking for something different, so try some new things until you find something that they like.

I understand how frustrating this can be.
Best of luck,
heid =^..^=

1 - 4 of 4 Posts