Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I switched my cat from dry Fancy Feast -which she loves- to Science diet, I made the switch very slowly mixing the dry food in different proportions like recommended, the switch took 2 months.

These past three weeks I've given her Science diet only and she's been eating less and less. Also she has a major litterbox issue. She can't evacuate properly so I guess it hurts her because in the middle of doing her business, she will sprint out of the litterbox into the living room and "scoot" on the carpet, like a little doggie, to get rid of the poop stuck in her butt. Overall with the Science diet her evacuations seem very dry and very difficult.

So now I don't know what to do, people convinced me to switch her from Fancy Feast because it's "bad food" and my happy, healthy , active cat is now miserable, eating less and less and having litterbox issues. I still feed her a can of wet food a day in addition to her dry food but she just doesn't seem to enjoy it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
84 Posts
IMO Science Diet is not "good food". It's is high carb and contains corn and is not species appropriate. My cat wouldn't touch it either.

Dry food in general is not good as it causes dehydration. Why not feed her a 100% canned diet? Try some of the grain-free canned foods (Wellness, EVO, Weruva). She will probably love them and her litter box issues will disappear.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Last fall I got Oscar off of the Hill's Science Diet R/D. There is a great resource on the web that you should read about the dangers of feeding a dry food diet. It is
http://Feeding Your Cat: Know The Basics of Feline Nutrition

I would stop the Science Diet and put her back on the dry Fancy Feast right away. You don't want her to not eat and lose weight. Then read the portion of the website that helps you transition your cat from dry food to a good quality grain free wet food.

You will also get tons of help here!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I agree with going 100% canned food such as Wellness and Weruva which is grain free. I used to feed my previous cats dry food and one of them ended up with kidney disease. By the time I learned about the dangers of feeding dry food to cats, it was too late. My current cats only get fed canned food which they love and they are both very healthy.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
IMO Science Diet is not "good food". It's is high carb and contains corn and is not species appropriate. My cat wouldn't touch it either.

Dry food in general is not good as it causes dehydration. Why not feed her a 100% canned diet? Try some of the grain-free canned foods (Wellness, EVO, Weruva). She will probably love them and her litter box issues will disappear.

Me three. Dump the kibble and put her on a good quality grain free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts