Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a female cat, 1.5 years old(The alpha) and a 1 year old male cat. Both are indoor and desexed. They were best friends until a month ago,they started fighting and distancing from each other. I see the little one trying to hang out with the older one, but she wants to be alone. The fights are increasing day by day and they are getting more intense. I am very worried about them. They used to lie down together, do everything together, but now they are enemies. Breaks my heart. I am also worried one might get hurt. Nothing changed in our circumstances. Both have recently been checked by the vet. No diet changes. Cant find anyone to knows whats happening. I want my babies to go to being best friens, not enemies. Please HELP.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I am so sorry for your situation, which must be really hard for everyone.
You will probably never know what happened. My guess (only a guess) is that something happened between them when you were not home to see it and now there is a resentment between them. I had this happen once when I brought in a new cat and at first things were fine, but they didn't stay that way and I ended up having to rehome the new cat. I think they got into a fight while I was gone, and it ruined their chances of friendship.

In this case, you want to give it some time since one cat is not brand new. Try separating them for a while, as if one of the cats were brand new in the house, and go through a re-introduction process. (See Jackson Galaxy on YouTube for info on this). Maybe if they have a clear break from each other for a week or two being kept completely apart it will give them time to get over it and possibly even start to miss each other. Worth a try, I think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cats are very senstive to smell. You may want to take the older one to the vet just to ensure there is nothing wrong with her. Since this is new behavior for the older cat, wanting to be alone, I would be suspicious about perhaps something not being right for her. Also, did little one get into something so that he smells to her? Behavior changes should always be checked for health issues first. Then going back to the earlier practices when they were getting to know each other. Separation, then feeding them apart but them moving them closer to each other, slowly. Like the post above says, following the Galaxy protocols. If it is behavioral, make sure they get some kind of positive thing happen or treat when they are close together so they associate good things with each other again. Also, my breeder told me to let mine figure out their own relationship. And advised not stepping in the middle of a cat argument. She said it would make it worse. Unless of course one is really hurting each other. But usually they just sound like they are and not really doing anything serious. Let them work out their relationship. She may sense that he is getting older and she is trying to establish her position as the top cat. Cats are very hierarchical with each other.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am so sorry for your situation, which must be really hard for everyone.
You will probably never know what happened. My guess (only a guess) is that something happened between them when you were not home to see it and now there is a resentment between them. I had this happen once when I brought in a new cat and at first things were fine, but they didn't stay that way and I ended up having to rehome the new cat. I think they got into a fight while I was gone, and it ruined their chances of friendship.

In this case, you want to give it some time since one cat is not brand new. Try separating them for a while, as if one of the cats were brand new in the house, and go through a re-introduction process. (See Jackson Galaxy on YouTube for info on this). Maybe if they have a clear break from each other for a week or two being kept completely apart it will give them time to get over it and possibly even start to miss each other. Worth a try, I think.
Hi Mosi. Thank you so much for your reply. Something happened and I couldn't access cat forum for a couple of days. It was showing me an error.
Thank you so much for your concern. It has been soooo hard seeing our babies fighting.
Just to give you an update, for the last 2 days, they have been not fighting that much. We are giving them treats together and trying to play with them. The elder one has stopped most of the hissing(Thank God). We put feliway diffuser in the house.
Today they played together once. I am really hoping that the hating and fighting phase is slowly going away. It's still a mystery about what could have happened.
Really appreciate your suggestions🙂

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cats are very senstive to smell. You may want to take the older one to the vet just to ensure there is nothing wrong with her. Since this is new behavior for the older cat, wanting to be alone, I would be suspicious about perhaps something not being right for her. Also, did little one get into something so that he smells to her? Behavior changes should always be checked for health issues first. Then going back to the earlier practices when they were getting to know each other. Separation, then feeding them apart but them moving them closer to each other, slowly. Like the post above says, following the Galaxy protocols. If it is behavioral, make sure they get some kind of positive thing happen or treat when they are close together so they associate good things with each other again. Also, my breeder told me to let mine figure out their own relationship. And advised not stepping in the middle of a cat argument. She said it would make it worse. Unless of course one is really hurting each other. But usually they just sound like they are and not really doing anything serious. Let them work out their relationship. She may sense that he is getting older and she is trying to establish her position as the top cat. Cats are very hierarchical with each other.
Hi Tikato. Thank you so much for your reply. Something happened and I couldn't access cat forum for a couple of days. It was showing me an error.
They have had a recent vet check. All good there. Since 2 days, they haven't been fighting that much. Today played together for a little while. It's been extremely hard seeing them fight and not being friends, but I think something's changing. We are giving them small treats together and trying them to play under supervision. I think they are slowly coming back to their usual selves(fingers crossed).
I really really appreciate your suggestions. Thank you so much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts