Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just put the hood on the litter box after several days without so my two new kittens could get used to it. I was afraid they wouldn't use it if the hood was on it right away.

But now they are both hanging out in there. Not scratching in the litter, but cleaning themselves and acting like that's the cool new hang out place. It's been about 10 minutes and as I write this they just came out. But should I be worried that they will no longer use it for its original purpose?

I just checked, and after the two of them spent ten minutes in there there is no sign that they did anything in there. Up till now they've been using it just fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with Maggie, anything new is worth checking out, especially to kittens. When I first started using a covered litterbox, I caught my cat hanging out in it quite a bit, now it's just once in a blue moon, and she always used it for its true purpose.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whew! They seem to be using it! Then I got cocky and put the little swinging door on it, but they had trouble getting in then. I'll wait till they're a little bigger and try it again.

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I heard on a TV show about cats that when they lay in the litterbox it has to do with feeling uneasy about something and wanting to surround themselves with their scent.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I heard on a TV show about cats that when they lay in the litterbox it has to do with feeling uneasy about something and wanting to surround themselves with their scent.
"My Cat From H***"? I was thinking the same thing. :)

But these guys are little kittens. I'm sure they are just checking things out, especially if they're younger kittens.

Johnny, I would keep an eye on them just in case. Have you noticed any signs of stress besides this? If not, I'm sure it's just a classic case of kitten curiosity!

·
Registered
19 Posts
First thing Ripley did when she went into the kitty litter (after being brought home) was to lie in it... She's since figured out its purpose beautifully. My guess is they're getting used to the new look of it and making themselves comfy in it. After all it's got to have a nice view, all about location, location, location... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts