Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be in a live manger scene,and I want to bring Percy. Could this be authentic for 1st century Judea? Surely,they had MICE,thus a need for snooglefroods. I could picture one of the magi with a cat. Problem is I'm going to be a shepherd. Cats and camels...good idea? no?

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I do not think I would bring my housecat who was unaccustomed to strange areas, strange animals and not used to containment on a leash.

One of my favorite Christmas stories I read was a children's book about a mother cat who had her litter of kittens in a stable. Some cruel kids threw a rock at her one day and it hit her paw, making it swollen and sore. She had difficulty hunting after that.
She came home to her stable after a night of unsuccessful hunting to find some people in the stable. They had a baby who was crying because it was cold. The family had stuffed hay into a manger and placed the baby in the hay, but it was still cold and the baby was crying. The mother cat walked up to look at the baby, then looked at the baby's mother and then hopped into the manger with the baby. She snuggled next to the baby to share some of her warmth with him and began to purr.
It was only a few minutes and the cat's warmth and purring had lulled the baby to sleep. The mother cat got up to go to her own litter of kittens that needed nursing and the baby's mother noticed the swollen paw and the mother cat limping. The woman reached out and touched the cat's forehead in thanks for comforting her baby. As she did so, the cat's paw was healed and her forehead was permanantly marked with an "M" for Jesus' mother, Mary.
...And that is how the tabby cats got their "M".

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Not heard that before, nice story.
bluemilk said:
I'm going to be in a live manger scene,and I want to bring Percy. Could this be authentic for 1st century Judea? Surely,they had MICE,thus a need for snooglefroods. I could picture one of the magi with a cat. Problem is I'm going to be a shepherd. Cats and camels...good idea? no?
No. Simply put.
Taking a cat to something like that is asking for trouble IMO.

(Not that it isn't a nice idea).

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Unless your cat is accustomed to crowds AND being held for long periods of time, don't do it. You're asking for trouble otherwise.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Heidi n Q said:
...And that is how the tabby cats got their "M".
I heard a story like that quite a while ago, only the way I heard it was that "M" stood for Messiah. Either way, it's very sweet. :)

Bluemilk, I second the thought on NOT taking your cat. It could be very disasterous.

·
Super Moderator
26,519 Posts
OMGosh! That video was soooo funny! :lol:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Hilarious video! Reminds me of my Herbie. That's the kind of thing he would do just because he knows he's not supposed to be up there. I swear, he knows how to pick my nerves! :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts