Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I would like some advice please.
My 2yr old male cat keeps stalking the domestic rabbit that is able to run free from it's hutch over the back of our house.
I have heard the owner clap and shoe him away several times even throw stones in his direction but they certaintly don't watch it all the time and i don't know what to do about it.

He is going to keep going over there to watch it and i'm really worried for the rabbit because my cat does bring the occasional bird home as cats do. It's their instinct.

I don't think my cat deserves to be pelted with stones for showing his natural instinct as he doesn't know any better.

Has anyone else been in this situation or have any advice on whether to approach the house opposite?

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's difficult :( I've got two rabbits and I'd be terrified to let them out loose, especially since there are loads of cats around here, but I understand the owner wanting to give the rabbit a lot of room... Your cat certainly doesn't deserve to be attacked because the rabbit owner doesn't want to give the rabbit a secure enclosure.

I don't know how much of a confident person you are... I've just had to go and speak to my neighbours about something and I was terrified and half expected to be told to mind my own business.

To be honest, I'm not sure what can be done... It's within his rights to have his rabbit loose and within yours to have your cat loose. He might be the kind of person who might say, in the face of "why don't you keep your rabbit more securely?", that you should keep your cat more securely. That's where it gets really tricky. The whole "why for one animal and not another" conversation.

Or perhaps he might be understanding and you can come to some amicable solution where he might agree to build a secure enclosure for the rabbit so that your cat can't get to it.

I've just waffled a lot of unhelpful stuff, so I guess I'll shut up now and wait for someone else... sorry...

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
It's a cat's instinct to hunt, you're not going to change that. If you're both going to allow you're animals to run loose, eventually the rabbit will get hurt (or worse). Unless one of you confine your pet, an incident is inevitable. I think in this case, the rabbit owner has the responsibility to keep his pet safe.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I think the legal responsibility varies with your location.
Down here, it is an owner's responsibility to keep their animals (pets and livestock) on their own property. The actual laws vary by county, but for the most part, shooting the animal is out unless it is causing injury to to a human or another animal or property.

And as I seem to live in the lawsuit capitol of the World, the fact you are aware of the potential for your cat to enter the neighbor's yard and attack the bunny and fail to prevent it woud factor in against you - again, depending on the local laws.

I live next to a large park that has paths and greenbelts connecting it to open farmland several town away. We have raccons, squirrels, copperheads, oppossums, rats, fox and wildcats in th park at various times - and they do come in our neighborhood. It isn't safe for my dogs or cats to be left outside. Have you though about a nice large enclosure for your cat?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts