Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As perhaps you have already read in other of my postings, our 10-month old Xena is quite a hyperactive kitty. It can be so that she's running around the house, charging imaginary enemies, then chasing her own tail, and afterwards, even when she's lying on the bed, apparently calm and relax, the tail is jerking back and forth, left and right, whipping her on the face. :lol:

We have noticed that a nice trick to calm her down is rubbing gently her ears. She really loves that, and calms down instantly! Any other tricks that you know? Also, would you think that her exploding hyperactivity is because of her young age? I do know that cats get calmer as they grow bit older, but can it be so that some of them stay so overwhelmingly playful even later?

PS. Just remembered. Today we bought Xena a new scratching-platform-cathouse combo, and guess what she's doing. Instead of scratching her claws on the poles, she's biting and eating the fabric out! :lol:
Gawd, this cat is nuts

·
Registered
52 Posts
My cat, who is about the same age, acts exactly the same. I think they're just a lot more hyper when they're younger. I get him to calm down by petting him and rubbing the ears too. Another thing that really works with him is to put on a video catnip tape. He is absolutely mesmerized by the video of the birds and even tries to catch them at times. He's watched that for over an hour straight. But I think as cats get older they calm down severely. My almost four year old cat barely wants to play anymore and only runs when she's chasing or being chased by the younger cat.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Generally, hyper activity is a kitten trait. Enjoy it while you cat, because when they get older they will calm down. Although hyper activity is also related to some breeds (Abyssinians for example) that such behavior has much to do with the cat's personality.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TV works for us too, but selectively. Meaning, if she decides to watch, she can stay there for 1 hour straight, too. But it doesn't work always. By the way, one of the first things she liked to watch on TV was economic news :lol: (I guess she was attracted by the bottom-line scrolling stockmarket text). Then, she had a period of watching alpine ski. And now that the world cup is over, she's left with Super Mario.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Wayne is right, it is a kitten thing. As Xena gets older she will gradually calm down. They still go though periods of high activity, but spend more and more time resting and napping.
When Velvet was a kitten I used to wish for her to take a nap sometimes, she was sooo hyper!! :shock: But she was so darn cute we couldn't help but love her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts