Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Im just wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I have. I have 3 cats, 2 of which have started to lose thier fur on thier back legs and tails, its causing no discomfort to them and they seem happy enough, eating well, playing, ect.! There has been a lot of clearing work done on some waste ground at the back of our house,due to preparation of new houses being built, is it possible that they could have used chemicals/pesticides on the ground and would that be a cause?. Any other ideas would be helpful. Dont really want to take them to the vet if there is no need, as I said they are still healthy and happy cats! Thanks x

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
If these are indoor/outdoor cats then you might have ringworm which is from the soil. Not being able to see the patches of hair loss is hard to diagnose accurately.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
I had two cats who were my "distant early warning systems" for fleas because if the cats were begining to be bothered by fleas, these two would lose hair at their bellies and rump in front of the tail.
Without pictures to see your cats' hairloss, it is difficult to tell what is going on. Even then, we are just a bunch of on-line cat lovers and really do not have any diagnosing powers. It is even illegal for veterinarians to diagnose without physically seeing the cat.

Is the hairloss in patchy clumps? Is it uniform over a fairly large area of their body? Is the skin showing any signs of irritation? Is it possible your cats have a food allergy?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heidi n Q said:
I had two cats who were my "distant early warning systems" for fleas because if the cats were begining to be bothered by fleas, these two would lose hair at their bellies and rump in front of the tail.
Without pictures to see your cats' hairloss, it is difficult to tell what is going on. Even then, we are just a bunch of on-line cat lovers and really do not have any diagnosing powers. It is even illegal for veterinarians to diagnose without physically seeing the cat.

Is the hairloss in patchy clumps? Is it uniform over a fairly large area of their body? Is the skin showing any signs of irritation? Is it possible your cats have a food allergy?
the Hairloss is at the top of the hind legs & bottom of the tail which makes me think it might have something to do with urine or faeces (just guessing of course), the skin all looks ok and it's doubtful its food allergy.
we also thought it might be stress releted due to having family staying over the xmas period and taking over the house but that also seems doubtful due to it being 2 cats losin fur on same area.
It's just weird, i've never seen anything like it before & the 3rd cat is absolutely fine.
i suppose we were just hoping someone on here had had similair problems in the past and knew more than we do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts