Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cat is about 14 and inside cat. never sick. was big and starting losing weight. dedided not to put him through going to vets and being poked and proded. he is healthy and no changes other than loss of weight, but eating less and less. i dont feel guilty about what we decided but want him to be ok until the end. should i do anything else?

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
143 Posts
What do you mean until the end, if you don't mind clarifying? 14 isn't really that old for a cat, they can live to 17 - 24 years, sometimes longer.

If he's losing weight and eating less, then he is not healthy. There could be a range of things going on, a lot of them treatable if the proper treatment is given.

So to answer your question of should you do anything else, you should still take him to a vet if you can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have heard that 14 is older cat and its not that i dont want him to get well. the most important thing is i dont want his end of life to be painful with treatments or his quality of life to be less. maybe its my way of thinking if i had cancer and choose quality of life versus chemo and radiation with no guarentee of life. thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i have heard that 14 is older cat and its not that i dont want him to get well. the most important thing is i dont want his end of life to be painful with treatments or his quality of life to be less. maybe its my way of thinking if i had cancer and choose quality of life versus chemo and radiation with no guarentee of life. thank you for your feedback.
I would take him to the vet anyway. Here's why:

I completely understand your reluctance to have him prodded, but 14 is not necessarily old for a cat. My vet always says, "Yes, this is an older animal. But no one dies of old age, there is always something going wrong that causes it".

The thing to do is find out what that thing is. If treatment of it would involve invasive things you don't want to subject your cat to, then you can make that decision. But what if all he needed was one medication a day mixed with his food and he would stop losing weight and be fine? Wouldn't you want to do that for him?

So, take him to the vet and find out. You can't make an informed decision about your cat's health without having the information.

·
Super Moderator
26,836 Posts
Cancer, chemo, radiation? Those are huge leaps of the imagination for one symptom. Looking at the other end of possibilities, he could simply have hypothyroidism which could be diagnosed with one blood test. I give Cleo half a pill, twice a day, and the pills do not cost much. She's 15, active, healthy (besides this one diagnosis), and still as mouthy and bossy as the day I brought her home. I hope to have her around for several more years. If she was gone, I wouldn't know where to sleep on my bed, what time to get up or be able to go to the bathroom by myself.

Reactions: jking

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
So, what decision did you make, bostonbob? What’s your plan?

·
Registered
5 Posts
my cat is about 14 and inside cat. never sick. was big and starting losing weight. dedided not to put him through going to vets and being poked and proded. he is healthy and no changes other than loss of weight, but eating less and less. i dont feel guilty about what we decided but want him to be ok until the end. should i do anything else?
You should DEFINITELY take him to the vet. 14 years old is technically considered an older cat although they can live a lot longer than that if taken care of. He could have the beginning of kidney failure, which is unfortunately very common in older cats. It could be anything. Please take him in, its unfair to let him suffer because he obviously does not feel good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I 100% agree with Mosi. I think it would be best to take him in. Cats are masters at hiding pain. I am going through some cat health issues myself (Pancreatitis) but the vet and I seem to have him on track with prescription food and meds only twice a week. He may always suffer from this but if it wasn't for everything the vet has done, my cat wouldn't be here with me today living his best life. Please keep us posted and I hope the best for your critter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My cat was 15 and he started losing weight and not eating (and he LOVED to eat). I took him to the vet and they did blood and urine tests and it ended up being Kidney Disease. I gave him subcutaneous fluid twice a week which helped for a couple of months and then I had to let him go over the Rainbow Bridge (which broke my heart - I loved my lap kitty and he was a character). The vet did mention that untreated Kidney Disease in late stages is very uncomfortable for the kitty, so it might be good to get your kitty tested just to have an idea about when to make the tough decisions if needed.

·
Registered
551 Posts
ddavis is correct - untreated kidney disease is terrible for the aimal or person suffering from it.
But kidney disease can be treated. My soul-mate cat was diagnosed with chronic renal failure at age 14, and I dived in and learned as much as I possibly could about it, and dedicated myself to keeping him alive with a good quality of life. I monitored his blood levels of everything by doing a CBC every 30 days, adjusted what he was eating according to the numbers of his blood creatinine and his BUN, and gave him sub-Q fluids every day at home. He lived three and a half more years after that, and the vast majority of that time he was doing really well.

One thing I always caution people about:
There is a myth that if an elderly cat stops eating, it's time for them to go. This is not necessarily true. My beloved cat stopped eating several times, and by tweaking his medication and his food I got him going again many times.

Of course I am not saying that ddavis's cat was not ready to go or anything like that. Just saying to others that a cat who won't eat is not by any means necessarily ready to die.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, take him to vet - it could be something as small like a bad tooth or could be worse. Get a few easy tests and you will know what's wrong and be able to make a plan, no need to let your fur baby suffer when you might be able to help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts