Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two moggies, both about 16. One is so food obsessed we have to separate them when they eat and not let the other out until she's finished for her will eat it all! We can't leave food down or it'll go in an instant by him! At night we have to shut them in the lounge or they will howl all night for food but the last few years we wake up to runny and hard poop, furballs and sick all over the floor and furniture. We now have a crawling baby so this can't go on. We spent 30 minutes every morning cleaning it up and antibacterial wiping it all so its safe. I'm thinking they do this because they're shut away and want food or company at night so I'm going to try letting them roam again but I think i know how that'll go. They have no issues like this during the day at all and its not new behaviour since the baby has come along. They have lots of space, hidey holes, beds and clean litter boxes etc but don't go outside at night. Until 5 years ago they were indoor only cats as I lived near a dual carriage way and now they're free to roam the gardens but don't go further than that. I've tried fellaway before to no end but am willing to give it another shot.

Does anyone have any advice please?

·
Super Moderator
26,542 Posts
First of all, two cats at age 16??? That's great!!

Have you talked to your vet about this? I've put one of my girls on "kitty prozac." It helped, and it didn't cost that much (not sure about where you live), but may be worth a try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, might be worth an ask. The vet wasn't very helpful. Yes one is 16 and one 6 months older. They are both still VERY full of spunk too. They don't look or act like old cats and the tolerate the baby very well. Its so strange as its only at night, its almost in protest! Ha! During the day they chill and explore and cuddle with me like normal kitties would, use their litter tray and don't vom everywhere!

·
Super Moderator
26,542 Posts
Do you trust the safety of letting them out at night?

You might try giving them a catnip toy before bedtime. My girls go a little nuts and then they crash hard. I also give them a good-sized meal before bedtime, so they eat, groom and sleep.

Reactions: jking

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, we leave the patio doors open until we go to bed about 11 but they don't use it to be honest. They're normally upstairs on the bed until i call them down and give them a few treats at bedtime but will try a bigger meal and some cap nip though! Thank you.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
If your cats are still playful you could siphon off some of their energy just before bedtime, with a play time for 15 mins. or so with a wand toy "DaBird"---basically a stick with feathers on the end of it, or perhaps a longish piece of cord that you can drag on the floor in a snake-like way, then afterwards give them a small meal/some treats before bedtime. This play with them may be enough to tire them out so that they sleep through the night. Fingers crossed! 😽👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts