Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They've been living in a big house, lots of space and they go outdoors when they want. I'm moving to a city, small apartment with some outdoor space, though not like at the old house.
Anyway, whats the best way to transition them? i was told to keep them indoors for two weeks til they establish that this is their new home/territory before letting them outside. This is so they dont go wondering off to find their old home. Is this good advice?
Should i follow that?

Any other advice?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Good advice to keep them indoors....two weeks imo is not long enough. At least a month. If it's a busier place than what they are used to, I would be fearful that they would be spooked and run off, get lost, or run over by a car. You might want to consider leash training them and take them out individually on a leash to the "outdoor space", or better yet buy a pet stroller that is big enough to take them both. That way they are safe in a zippered enclosure, are able to enjoy a different scene from the apt. and can smell all the different scents in the area. Cats have a very keen sense of smell, so this in itself is stimulation for them. In nice weather, I take my two for "walkies" in a pet stroller and they love it. If you will be travelling over grass or in a park, get one with larger wheels as they go over the ground better. Good luck on your move!

Cat dog stroller - TheFind

1 - 2 of 2 Posts