Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.

For about the past week I've had a feeling that my cats weren't drinking as much as they normally do, this kind of goes along with the ammonia smelling litter box, (which smelled fine yesterday, I will check it soon today).

Over the past 2 days, I have measured out the amount of water I gave them, and the same amount has been in there untouched... very unsual for my cats, they specially eat after their 2 meals.

To compinsate for this in the mean time, I've given them mostly watered down wet food with a little dry. And this they will eat.

Any suggestions besides buying a $50 foutain bowl, to get my cats drinking again, or why they might have stopped?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd like to know the answer to this as well. My cat has been given sub-q about 4 times in the last 2 weeks to make sure he stays hydrated. Very odd to see the litter box dry all the time then BOOM, looks like a title wave came through. :)

Seriously though, I can understand a cat not eating because of illness, allergy or being picky...but why no drinking. It is fundamental. You would think the cotton ball mouth would make them go drink (mine walks around smacking his lips).

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
could it be something added to the water mains? more fouride or something that has put them off the taste of it. i remember reading ina book how cats prefer rain water because it tastes better than tap, i dont know how much truth there is to that, but when i think about it i alays see my cats drinking outta pubbles if they get the chance......maybe that has something to do with it?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we'll if taste was the concern, you would think that they would have accepted either the tap, or my filter water I have. *shrugs*

There is still plunty of pee in their boxes, however, unfortunatly today, it smelled strongly of ammonia again. :(

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Angel,

I'd try mixing their wet food with water and mashing it up. That's what I do for our 19 yr old cat to make sure she gets enough water in the hot summer. It could be something in the water too like Zalensia said. Is your filter clean? Try putting in a new filter and see if they like the filtered water better. I don't know if you were in an area affected by the power outage, but in some areas the water was a bit funny afterwards.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as I know, here in North/West MD none of this state was affected.

I've tried giving them bottled water from the store as well, and I've turned the kitchen sink on, just to a dribble, cause I know sometimes Isha has drank out of there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think any change in behaviour warrants a visit to the vet, especially if you're also noticing a difference in the litter tray "odour".

Cats are desert dwelling creatures who naturally don't drink all that much water. In the wild they'd obtain most of their fluid intake from their prey, which are around 70% water. Dry food is only around 10% water, so therefore cats have to drink more to compensate.

You say you're feeding them more canned food now, so that would explain why their fluid intake has declined, however...I can't explain why their urine has changed odour.

I guess at the end of the day, it always pays to know our cat's habits. I have some cats who I NEVER see drinking, but they are alive & well so obviously getting enough fluids. I have other cats who are always at the water bowl, you just learn who drinks lots & who doesn't. But as I said, any change in routine & it's best to see the vet.

Julia.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think my cat has found a stream or a creek or somthing hes been drinking from outside. It has been raining off and on round here latley and i think he found somthing that has been catching rain water.

I just ordered one of those foutains off e-bay because he likes to drink from the bottle as i por it into his dish. I spent about 20 minutes last night slowly pouring the water from the bottle into his dish because he kept drinking and drinking so i just kept doing it because he liked it. If he wont drink from this foutain thing ill rig somthing up like the bottle pouring out. I have a feeling the sound of the pump will scare him away though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
:idea: We live in a hot, dry climate (in Arizona) and we also thought our kitties weren't drinking enough water, even though they are strictly indoor cats. We have found a trick, that might work for you! Our refrigerator has a ice dispenser in the door. We found that they come running every time we get some ice out. So we've started putting about half a bowl of ice in their water dish, then filling it with bottled water. They run right over and start drinking before they even start eating. I change it every morning, and most days the dish is half empty (and this is a pretty big dish for two cats). Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts