Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I bought a Drinkwell Pet fountain so that my Cat Midnight will drink more water and none of the 5 cats are interested. They checked it out to see what this new thing was and that’s it. I had it up on their table where they eat, but midnight never goes up on the table, so I moved it next to the doorway were they all have to pass by. It’s only been a couple of days and I put up a wireless camera to record on my computer, but they just walk by and don’t even look at it. They would rather go all the way down stairs to a bowl that’s shared by both the cats and dogs.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks, I turned it down and we’ll see if it’s not too late. Hopefully I didn’t scare them off for good. Once they get scared they don’t usually go back.

I might have to put in a little gold fish to get them interested again. Just Kidding LOL :wink:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have that same fountain. For some reason when my dad had it at his house, his cat Girly used it all the time. After he died and I took them both to my house, she barely noticed it. My other cat didn't pay any attention either. But boy...one morning when I took it apart to clean it, you would think Girly had just crossed the desert for days! She pestered me to death while I tried to put it back together and get it running again! :lol: She was right up in there "helping" until I got it going again. Now she uses it once and awhile but she's not crazy about it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have been looking at these thing for a while. What do they do other than cirulate old water and make busy work of cleaning the thing?

·
Registered
978 Posts
These use a charcoal filter similar to what you would use for a fish tank. It keeps the water relatively clean. My cat prefers flowing water and it stops me from having to leave a faucet on. I take mine apart and clean it well once a week. It takes about 20 minutes to clean. I do her food bowl at the same time. It's really not much upkeep.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
It might take a little while longer for them to start using the fountain. I know that I had that model for several years (literally wore the pump out) and they loved it. I hope you kitties will give it a chance.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Leave it to a cat to ignore a fountain youve purchased for them. Cats can be exasperating. I have a piture that is in the shape of a goard. All the cats love drinking from it. But they love drinking from my fountain too or I would of been p***ed spending the money and getting zero responce.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wondered if maybe it was a smell or something like that so we washed it real good in case there was some plastic smell and we did use the charcoal filter.

They haven’t used it all day and I’m about to remove all the other water in the house and make sure all the toilet seats are closed.

I’m very disappointed because I thought the whole purpose was to attract them so they would drink more and now I’m forcing them to drink. The manual says it may take a week to get used to it, but the question is will they drink more?

I even searched for a small plastic fish as Scottd mentioned, but everyone I saw was too big. And there is a real grass attachment that can be purchased separately that I may try later on.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
My girls love their fountain, which is the same one you have. Then again, I've had a fountain since Day 1, so they've always been used to it, which perhaps made things easier in my case.

If possible, you might try putting the fountain in the same place as you normally put their regular water bowl. Turn it on the lowest setting, or even turn it off when you feed them. Hopefully, they will then just look at it as a gigantic water bowl. Right now, the problem might be that they just don't know what it is. If you put it where their old water bowl was, they might get the message. Once they're used to it, you can then move the fountain to wherever you want to keep it on a permanent basis.

I can't say if my girls drink more because of the fountain. I just know that they pay no attention to still water in a bowl, but they're at the fountain numerous times each day. As for cleaning...I have always found the Drinkwell to be very easy to take apart and clean.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is their regular watering hole and the only problem is that the dogs also drink out of it when they are in the house. They have their own water outside and are closed off to most of the house when we aren’t home or in bed because when don’t want them on the furniture and they also clean out the litter box when nobody’s around.

If I put the Drinkwell in the old location, the dogs will empty it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the cats are not the only ones that needs to get used to this water fountain.

This morning I got up and poured me a cup of coffee then sat down to read the news when I thought I heard the coffee pot going. I usually use it all up in my thermos and make another pot for the others. I left the thermal Carafe on the counter and the coffee maker was loaded up ready to make another pot when this was empty. I nearly sprained my ankle trying to get to the kitchen in time only to realize it was coming from the fountain upstairs.

I didn’t notice how much noise it makes until now early this morning when it’s so quite. I wonder if maybe its the noise that's bothering them

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Well the cats are not the only ones that needs to get used to this water fountain.

This morning I got up and poured me a cup of coffee then sat down to read the news when I thought I heard the coffee pot going. I nearly sprained my ankle trying to get to the kitchen in time only to realize it was coming from the fountain upstairs.
Too funny!

·
Registered
215 Posts
So let me get this right, it is not so much about the filtration, rather than the drip, drizze, water streamy feature of it? Well, I can see cats liking that. Oh you all have spoiled kittys!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So let me get this right, it is not so much about the filtration, rather than the drip, drizze, water streamy feature of it? Well, I can see cats liking that. Oh you all have spoiled kittys!
I'm beginning to think you are correct and after I spent all this money. LOL

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It doesn’t do what its supposed to

Well it’s been a while and there’s no sense in even paying for the electricity to run it. I’m boxing this thing up in it original box and wrapping to get rid of it. I cannot recommend it to anybody because I believe it’s just gimmick and I cannot find any proof that cats actually drink more water. It does not entice cats to drink any more than they would with just a plain bowl of water.
My cats are just simply not interested and I think they also don’t like the noise. They would rather walk down a flight of steps to drink out of the water bowl shared with the dogs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought a fountain for my cats a few months ago. One of my cats was absolutely terrified of it and the other ignored it. My dogs loved the thing though, but of course it wasn't for them. I ended up returning it after a week. I bought it for my cat who is prone to urinary crystals but I switched food and figure now they get fed canned food with extra water mixed in so they should be fine. I know a lot of people who have fountains and their cats love them...but I guess they aren't for everyone!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts