Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to exercise the herd by getting them to chase these little mice and also run for da bird. While it can be amusing watching them make these cartoon like hairpin turns on a the laminate floor I can't help but think this can not be good on their bones. I move away anything that may obstruct a straight run or that they can slam themselves into. Am I doing them harm?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I would say it depends on the extent of the frolicking, but cats are pretty resilient and can take a lot of bodily stress. I watch my girls wrestle. They twist and turn and bite on each other and run...and they do this for fun. So, unless they are falling off something high and not landing on their feet, I can't see this being very harmful to them.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Every now and then Teddy misses when he jumps for the bunk bed that is over my Futon couch and hits the floor pretty hard. He doesn't seem too shaken by it though. His pride looks more hurt than he is. He is usually trying to make the jump again in a few minutes.

I live on all tile flooring and my boys slip and slide a bit. They have actually gotten used to it and now slide less than when I first moved in to this place.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
We have laminate flooring and there are times when I believe the cats are having fun with it. It seems as though they run like crazy and slide on purpose. Of coarse there have been other times when they have lost control and gone slamming into a wall. The ones that do it never seem to be hurt from it, if it hurt too much they would probably slow down. The older cats with supposedly more fragile bones are much too dignified to go slamming into walls.:wink

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
The bottom of my stairs face a wall that is less than 4ft away, the floor is high gloss pre-finished hardwood. Maggie and Holly are always flying down the stairs, taking a hard left into the living room and their momentum has their back end skidding bouncing off the wall. They do it on purpose and have a blast. And Maggie is 14....she's been doing this since I had the floors done 6 years ago. No damage yet...

·
Banned
470 Posts
Cats can lick their own backs, so don't think they are going to pull anything.

The only thing I worry about are awkward falls from height. Had a drowsy kitty wake up from the top of the 9 foot tree, stretch, and then for no apparent reason tumble off the back... ugh. No damage so far though. *knock on wood*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts