Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rescue cat he's about 10 he has no teeth so carnt go out on his own therefore I have brought him a harness an lead to take him down my garden an eventually for a walk do cats enjoy this and do people get funny with you I thought it was the next best thing for him x Sandra

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I tried that with a cat and ended up calling it "taking the cat for a drag" as he would not walk, but just lay down. You might try having him in the harness at home until he's used to it. That kind of thing works better when started young, rather like brushing.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I've done the leash thing, and find that most cats don't really like it much, unless you just follow behind where the cat wants to go. What works for me is a cat stroller. My two enjoy their "walkies" and will often jump into it and meow that they want to go outside in it. It keeps them safe from dogs, small kids, being spooked by a motorcycale/nolisy trucks and it gives them a sense of patrolling a territory if you go around your neighborhood, which is what they would do if they were a feral cat. I've had a stroller for many years now, and I find the jogger stroller is good with the larger tires, especially for going across a park lawn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi @Sandraer6n . I've been walking my older cat for a year now. Someone must have tried it before, since I inherited the halter, but never followed through. At first it was tough going, a battle of wills. Then I began to just carry him out and plop him down at the end of the lawn, so he had to walk back. Eventually he began to love going outside, and would give me no peace unless I took him out twice a day. Gradually I learned to give the time to him, to go where he wanted to go, with me following, as much as possible. It's been a great experience for him to help him get over some of his fears, and I've enjoyed it and learned a lot in the process as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts