Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

This is my first time here. I have 2 three month old sisters - Yoda and Dunga. They are great kittens and I'm happy to have them! I never had a cat before (only a dog).

My first question is if it's normal that cats are walking on the table. I mean, is there something I can do about it? I don't mind them walking on it but what bothers me is that when I'm eating they would come close to my plate... I'm not sure if they would eat the food because I always put them away.

My second question is regarding Dunga. Both kittens sleep in our bed with me and my husband. The thing is that, every night around 4am Dunga wakes up and starts biting my fingers or ears. I don't know what to do with her! I tried spraying her with water but it doesn't work on her. Why is she biting me? Does she want to play? It happens EVERY NIGHT and I can't sleep well. I tried to take her out of the room but she would cry and cry and cry. Please HELP!

Thank you!

Eva

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum,

I don't think most cats can understand that they're allowed on the table normally, but not when there's food. You'll probably just have to train them to stay off the table... spray water, make loud noises, yell... I'm sure you know the drill.

As for Dunga, she may be waking you up because she's hungry. How's the food situation? Does she eat before bed? Punky bites my fingers and walks on me when she's hungry for breakfast (which thankfully is no earlier than 8am). She used to wake me up at 5am for breakfast... Now I make sure that one of the very last things I do before bed is feed the cats.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, and thank you for the response.

I don't think she is hungry. I feed them twice a day - 6:30am and around 8:30am. There is usually still some food left in the morning (very little). So, food is not the problem. If she would be hungry she would go to the living room and eat. But she doesn't go anywhere. She just wakes up and bites my fingers. This is happening for the last 2-3 weeks. Actually last night and the night before, I was trying to hide my hands under the blanket (I was so sleepy and wanted to sleep!) - she first licked my ears and bited them little and then she just walked over my face back and forth - several times. She was tickeling me! :) I used to take her out of our bedroom together with her sister but I felt bad for her sister because she is such a good cat...sleeping nicely on the pilow next to me. So, last 2 nights I just took her out of the bedroom and maybe she was also jealous because she cried really loud. I couldn't keep her away long because of the neighbours. I let her back in but she started biting again. What should I do with her?

thanks again

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm more like a quiet person... :)

But I can try! I will see what happens tonight... My husband is making fun of me and laughing because every night he hears me saying "no" "no" "don't bite!".... :D :D :D She never bites him! Only me....

Oh, about the tables. I bought a sprey - called something like "stay away" and spreyed wires and tables (they like to play with wires a lot!). But doesn't help. It's funny because this sprey doesn't help and also, if I sprey the cats with water doesn't help. If I sprey Dunga with water, she sits, looks at me and purrrrrs... and then she licks herself. :) Is she making fun of me?

I guess I have to get those sticky things and glue them on the furniture.

eva

·
Registered
44 Posts
try spraying one of those cans of air like those you use to blow computers out with.

Just dont spray it at them.. the noise is usally enough to send mine running out of the room

·
Registered
8 Posts
My cat when she was a kitten and still does to this day knocks our glasses over. My mom has one that has recently ate her chocolate doughnut when she wasn't looking. As for waking you up in the morning. I have tried to out smart her but it is not working. I have locked her out of the room and she has torn up the carpet by the door. The only thing I have found works alittle bit is I try to ignore her when she wakes me up in the middle of the night. Sometimes it works. I have never had a cat that is so high maintenance but she does have a good personality.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If the neighbors can hear the crying, you must live in an apartment. That makes it difficult because you can't just ignore the crying or sleep with a fan to drown it out because of the neighbors. Right now she is learning that if she cries at the door you will let her in.

I'm thinking that she is probably just looking for someone to play with. Is your other cat asleep when Dunga bites at you? You may just have to be a little more stern with her. Hopefully she will eventually grow out of it but right now, she's still a baby.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This may be a bit late but:
- Oranges work very well for my cats. They HATE them. Citrus gives them the willies. You could stick some orange peel into a food processor until its very fine. Soak a dish towel in it for a few miniutes, and then wipe down the table. It will only work if she sniffs it though. But it can help enforce things when your not looking.

- Josie likes to nibble when shes happy. From a couple of weeks after we got her and her brother she would nibble my lady's fingers. I think there was an occational nose and/or ear. She only does if in situations when she would pur and is sleepy. We think its her trying to succle a bit (probably a subconcious urge). Either sleep with ear muffs or stick a segment of an orange in there :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANK YOU so much for the advices.

Last night was somehow better. I decided to feed them before I went to bed (I used to feed then when I got home from work - around 8:30pm). Also, I played with them a lot last night to make them more tired.

They came to me later in the night - when my husband came to bed. Dunga woke me up again. She bit my fingers and I said loud "NO" and spreyed her with the water. Then she tried to bite my ears several times (she also licks them - it feels so nice! :) Of course, I spreyed here again. Then she stopped and fell asleep again. This repeated like 2x more. She actually didn't seem to have that much energy - maybe she was tired? I don't know. But this was the first night (after many days) I actually didn't kick her out of our bedroom. I'm thinking that maybe when I kick her out and then let her back in, she thinks it's a game and starts biting again :?: Maybe it's better just to leave her in the bedroom.

Yes, Yoda always sleeps. She never bites me. Only sometimes in the morning when it's my time to wake up (around 6am) she starts bugging me a little bit. She is easier to handle. :p But I love them both with all my heart!

I will try the orange thing. Probably this weekend.

This is a great forum with great people and I'm happy to be here. :)

Eva

Are you cats sneezing sometimes? Our cats started sneezing after few days after we brought them home. Then they stopped and now they are sneezing again. The vet said it could be chronical. I'm thinking it's the cold weather. I'm in Canada and our apartment is't not that hot (eventhought I have 2 extra heaters on).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts