Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am not a cat person but my wife is. I'm really trying to keep these cats but it's getting hard. The cats pee on everything. Beds, rugs, clothes, hard wood floors... Not sure what to do. Have tried sprays, adding litter boxes, cleaning boxes twice a day, giving them toys, tryin to interact with them more... Have tried everything I've read online and what the vet has told us. We have 2 male orange cats almost 2 years old. They're stand offish and run when you try to pet them. They came from a loving family and 2e are a loving family. My 3 boys can pick them up and play with them like dolls sometimes but other times they walk by, you put your hand out to pet them and they'll change direction and run. I'm old school and ready to open the door and let them run but they're not barn cats and never been outside. So I'm scared, living in the country, something will get them but can't keep this going. any advice will help. Thank you!

·
Registered
Franny -- best cat ever! purring in my heart Porch cat THE DIVIT aka Divey seriously traumatized
50 Posts
Cats have radar. And they have cat-atude. Example -- I used to travel rarely but for a good chunk of time. I hated travel. I would pull out the suitcase, Socrates would climb in it --- make sure he had full eye contact -- and pee in it. He slept on my desk under my desk lamp. Cat sitter described him as contented as could be until -- he was done with me being gone and began shredding my desk calendar, quietly, systematically. You could actually where he'd drawn the line - he was done with me being gone.
Doesn't sound like you ever bonded with these two fellas -- ever. Cats are not the critters that will love ya no matter what and for forever plus too. Some are like that but its a "gift" that the cat chooses to give and to who they will give it to. There are critters who a known for that very thing. They got a name for them too -- its called "Black Lab" also known as "A Golden Retriever". Cats will cop an attitude and not turn it loose until they are through driving you nuts. You can say "what did you do!" to a dog and it will dissolve in a puddle of shame and remorse at a hint of rejection. A cat will more than likely give you "excuse me? are you talking to me??"
You give a tiny bit of background -- they came from a loving home -- was that as kittens? at what age did you get them? Were they "rehomed" to you as adults? Are they a bonded pair? Or two stranger cats that got pass on to you? How many "homes" have they been in? and for how long at each?
What your summary gives is where the offenses occur and that they aren't very dog like in their relationships with the family. You also say you have sought advice from pros. Mmm, but you don't say 1. when did it start (always or suddenly after X happened, or when somebody does X, or is it completely random -- like they could go months with no problem and then blam!, or it is completely random and it happens several times a week -- a month -- or often enough that you haven't forgiven them since the last time). 2. Is it one or both or you don't know 3. Are they neutered ( and when) 4. Are you tracking in other critter stinks on you or clothes that they may take as territorial invasion.
What I am saying Dave -- you got to find a pattern, what triggers the behavior. There maybe more to the backstory on these two fellas that may be where the issues began. Could their "first family" take them back -- if not why not?
Lastly -- what would they have to do for you to have a change of heart about them? You do know they aren't gonna wake up and be two big ole black labs?

I'm not trying to put you off here Dave. But sometimes when I haven't any answers to offer at least maybe I can give some really really good questions.

Peace and all good Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take them to the vet. It might be a urinary infection. Yes, it will be costly but meds, antibiotics if the vet prescribes same might be the answer. If your vet has not done medical tests then go to another vet.

it’s not all behavioral. Animals have medical issues as well.

it is incredibly kind of you to be so concerned about your pets.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Ahh Aint No Pet said...

"Cats will cop an attitude and not turn it loose until they are through driving you nuts. You can say "what did you do!" to a dog and it will dissolve in a puddle of shame and remorse at a hint of rejection. A cat will more than likely give you "excuse me? are you talking to me??"

LOL!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It appears that your cat might be experiencing some medical issues that are causing her to pee everywhere. Idiopathic stress-induced cystitis is the most common medical cause, and it means that your cat is experiencing inflammation in her bladder. The most common cause of feline idiopathic cystitis is bladder stones, followed by urinary tract infections (UTI), bladder tumors, kidney disease, and urinary crystals. By taking your feline friend to the veterinarian once you notice she's acting differently or peeing outside of the box, you can get her treated and hopefully, she will return to her old self soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts