Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to feed Shadow the best wet food for cats. I heard Wellness and another that escapes me right now were the best. Thing is, Shadow does not seem to like these brands too much and will not eat the entire thing. Sometimes he will not even eat half. I feed him the smallest cans they have too.

He will however, scarf down IAMS like the place is going out of business. I feed him the same amount of this brand as Wellness. Wellness is also more expensive and I'm a limited budget at the moment.

So should I keep trying with Wellness, or is IAMs brand ok to feed to him?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Okay, yes, Wellness is a good brand, along with EVO, Before Grain, Spot's Stew, and many others.
If he is only eating half of a 3.3oz can, that is not enough for a full grown cat, no. But, since he is eating half a can, I would say that its not so much that he doesn't like it but that he loves the taste of junk-food IAMS so much more.
How long have you gone before you gave in and fed him IAMS? You can wait up to 12 hours before you should be worried about him not eating anything. Try feeding him only a spoonful or two at a time, then if he comes up to you begging again (or begs later) put down another spoonful. If he just looks at the food and then back at you, try to encourage him. Point at the food and say 'look, its right here, om nom nom' and give it a few pokes; that usually gets my cat to eat it. If he refuses, leave it out for a few hours, and he will most likely give in and eat it. If he comes back to beg, and the food is looking dried out, throw it out and put fresh down (including clean bowl) and advertise how amazing it is again.

You may have to switch him over in increments, starting at 25% Wellness and 75% IAMS and eventually getting to 100% Wellness.

·
Registered
76 Posts
http://cats.about.com/od/catfoo1/tp/tpcannedadult.htm

In my price shopping (which is mostly online, because Wellness is the only grain-free wet food I can find locally), I found that Felidae is one of the cheapest. The Wellness I buy is $2.49 for a 12.5 oz can (~.20/oz). The Felidae I priced at Amazon.com was .12 - .14 per oz. I don't know how that compares to IAMS, but imagine it's comparable.

There are also some grocery store brands that are at least grain-free and by-product free, if not top-of-the-line in terms of ingredients. Fancy Feast's Flaked Fish & Shrimp flavor is one (one of my cats will ONLY eat that, argh). There are a couple of Whiskas fish flavors, as well. I haven't found any non-fish grocery store flavors that fit the bill....but if you read labels enough, you might find some! ;)

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Are you also feeding dry food and if yes, are you free feeding it? If you're free feeding, remove the dry food and see what happens when you put down wet for a cat who hasn't had any food for at least 8 hours.

If you're not feeding dry then try some toppers...spread a layer of the Iams over the food you want him to eat, sprinkle some Parmesan cheese, pour some tuna juice over it, smush in a few pieces of chicken or crumble some freeze dried chicken over it...basically anything he particularly likes can be used as a topper.

In the end if all else fails, there are certainly a lot worse foods out there than Iams (9 Lives, Friskies & Whiskas come to mind). Iams is a mid-range food, I don't classify it as junk. I'd much rather feed Iams wet than an all dry diet.

Also, there are a ton of other really good brands out there for you to try before giving up. Any of the brands on the Petfooddirect grain free list would be great choices:

Grain Free Cat Food And Treats Cat | PetFoodDirect.com

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I will try all those suggestions.

We gave him Iams after my fiance bought it from the grocery store. He didn't understand what the difference was between the brands <.<

I will let you know how it goes. I might try topping wellness with Iams or other things first. Shadow loves cheese and sometimes dive bombs the table if he sees we have some!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts