Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Alright, so I'm petrified of thunderstorms, and everyone around me doesn't care and just tells me to get over it. Which obviously doesn't help, it's a lot easier said than done.
I often take comfort in how Nugget is behaving during one, thinking because she's calm everything will be fine. I've heard that they can sense when it's going to be a bad one, and will start acting strange.. what are your thoughts on this?
I like to think that if there was going to be a tornado (which is like, the reason I'm so scared of storms), Nugget would sense that something is wrong and I would be able to get to safety in time. Haha.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think most pets can tell that something is going on. Today I was hanging out with my cat in the room and I was just laying there petting her and all of sudden she jumped off the bed and went under. I was confused why because it didn't seem like anything was happening but my girlfriend got mad and probably was walking up the stairs loudly and shortly after she jumped off my girlfriend dropped a big bag of bad cat food on the ground and was upset with the quality. So I feel like my cat sensed that there was something wrong and scary and jumped under the bed.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Fraido, I'm petrified of thunderstorms as well. Book came here as a kitten adn I think that I've made him afraid without meaning to.

MowMow is my thunderstorm rock. The minute he hears the rumbling start he hunts me up and lays against me. I wind up under the covers with him hiding. BOok hides behind the armchair.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Cats and dogs are both more sensitive to the changes in pressure than we are, and have instinctual reactiions to more severe pressure changes.

So, they definitely can sense when a storm is coming, and when it's likely to be worse.

As far as how they react...your reactions will effect young kittens, but adult cats already have a set behaviour for it.

I haven't ever minded storms, Jitzu doesn't care. The boys get a little worked up at first, but after a half hour or so they settle down. Torri hates all loud noises, so she spends thunderstorms under the bed - growling back at them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's odd, I've had Nugget since she was born, and she seems to not care at all. She'll just lay on my bed and sleep, meanwhile I'm having a heart attack, lol.
I wonder if she's so careless during them because she knows I'm scared and is trying to keep me calm.. hmmm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts