Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two cats that have some kind of respiratory bug. I've taken them to the vet twice in the last 4 days for antibiotics and Iv fluid. They seem a little better, but are still refusing food and water. Does anyone have any tips for at home care? It's getting really expensive taking them back to the vet every other day, and I don't know how much more I can afford. They just got their physicals and updated vaccines a week ago, and they're indoor cats. I don't know how they caught this.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Hi Clarsax7,

Many people use l-lysine as a supplement to support the immune system. Studies have shown mixed results about its efficacy, but a lot of people swear by it.

What kinds of symptoms do they have? If they're congested, you can run a hot shower and then put them in the steamy bathroom for 15 minutes or so.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Cats with resp issues will often not eat and drink because they need to smell their food, which they cannot do if they are congested.

Like Spirite said, put them in a bathroom with a hot steamy shower going to loosen the congestion. Then when you set food out, add unsalted meat broth to the water and something like grated cheese to the food to make the food and water more "smellable".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts