Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat is an Abyssinian Tabby mix. She's 5 years old going to be 6 on August 12. The question I have is about her skin & coat. Every time I rub her back or scratch between her shoulder blades (her favorite place to be scratched) she starts growling & chewing at her front legs because it itches. I pulled some of the loose hair off of her butt & looked at it. It was dry. It is usually like silk. It was filled with dandruff & FLEA DIRT. :? I know that she doesn't have fleas because she doesn't leave the house let alone my room. She wears a flea collar all year round. I change it out for a new one at the beginning of every month & About three timnes a year we put front line on all of our dogs & cats & our ferret. Why does she have flea dirt? I keep checking her for fleas & I'm not seeing any. Why? HELP!!! :cry:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
flea collars don't work! If you're seeing flea dirt, yes she has fleas. Dry skin, flaking and coarse hair is also caused by fleas. I suggest using Advantage or Frontline and see if her condition doesn't improve. If it doesn't, then she probaby has an allergy.

Also, fleas don't love on the animals. They only come on the pet to feed! 80% of the fleas will be in your carpet and other things. Advantage works by putting a flea killer in the bloodstream. Since the fleas HAVE to feed sometime, they'll eat then die before they can lay eggs. Within 1 month you should be flea-free(since eggs can hatch during 1 month)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I've heard that flea collars do not work and if anything it is harmful for the cat. I use Advantage and I've heard only good things about Advantage, Revolution and Frontline. Within one month fleas are gone from the 1st application :)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Sabby used to do that when I scratched by his tail. I take a flea comb and thoroughly comb the area (yes, it must be a flea comb; no other grooming tool will work as well). I was surprised at how much hair, dead skin, and dirt I pulled out of that area. The problem has cleared up. Your kitty probably can't clean between her shoulder blades and needs you to do it for her.

I second what the others say about flea collars. My rule of thumb for flea medications is this: if it didn't come from your veterinarian, don't use it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts