Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading on these boards for the last week or two, it seems that most people allow their cats to sleep with them. My wife and I are unsure if we want her in our room at night for various reasons. Well, we allowed Maya into our room for a few nights due to friends/family staying over and not wanting to bother them.

Note: Maya is still a very young kitten, 9-10 weeks.

So, my question is this.
How do you deal with 3am playtime? Maya gets her kitten-energy-boost around 10:30pm-11pm, so we do our best to wear her out by 11:30-midnight. So, she goes to sleep as we do, after some crying of course if we shut her out (but the length of crying is getting shorter).

Problem is at 3am, she is good to go again. If we lock her out, it's crying/scratching, etc. If we allow her in, she is ALL OVER our bed...chasing her tail, walking on our faces, pouncing on my hand, etc.

Since we're up til ~12am, and we both get up as early as 5:30am some days (usually 6-6:30) that doesn't exactly allow for a great deal of sleep. Last night, I was up or woken up several times from 2:47-3:45...yay kitties!

At the very least, I would like to discourage her from walking on our faces while we sleep...for hygiene and annoyance reasons. She doesn't do it while we're awake and laying around so we can't discourage it then.

Long story made short:
. How do you stop her from walking on your face at night?
. Does anyone on her lock their cat out during the night? Or pretty much all let them sleep with you?
. Any way to manipulate her sleep schedule some? She is probably too young and just has way too much energy at the moment for this I'm guessing.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I have one cat I now have to lock out at night. Unfortunately she's the original cat, a 3 1/2 year old who never woke me up at night. The high energy 1 1/4 year old has to be kept away from the adult so she sleeps in my room. She's getting better at not waking me dircetly because I just ignore her. I think she only accidentally knocked my cell phone off the bookcase headboard almost onto my head last night. I do have to move all of the noisey toys out of the room at night....and put my cell phone where it can't be used as a weapon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was just her playing, that would be fine. She's not very loud. It's the facewalking that is pretty much impossible to ignore. It is definitely going to wake you up, and you have to at least move her off of your face...especially b/c we had to clean kitty-doo out of her paws the other day, so you can't just ignore her.

I don't want to wake up with a beauty mark like Cindy Crawford's from my kitty that I have to wipe off every morning.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
I *love* for my kitties to sleep with me. BUT...if they disturb me, they are closed out of the room.

Kittens are usually kept in the master bathroom, but all cats/kittens integrated into the cat-household, are just closed off from the bedroom and sleep wherever they want around the house. In the office: in cat beds, cat trees or on an empty bookshelf. In the kitchen on the chairs and in the Living Room; on the floor, furniture and cat beds in there.

I began closing kitties out of the bedroom when The Wanderer would make 3am "commando raids" on all kitties sleeping on the bed. He'd put-the-sneak-on and creep up to the bed, peer over the edge to see who was closest, then quickly pop up to bat his feet at them, startle them awake and then he'd run out of the room...only to sneak back a few minutes later and do it all over again. He thought it was great fun. The first time he scared a cat into running across my face, it wasn't fun.
No amount of slapping my hand on the mattress, yelling "No, Wander!" and threatening him with dire consequenses and great bodily harm would work. Getting up to "go after him" was great fun for him: Oh, my! Look! I got her to play *chase* with me! This is the most fun, ever! So, after working my way through my threats and getting up to go after him a few times, he performed repeated commando raids and I'd slapped the mattress, yell at him and get up ... so he ran delightedly out of the room, skipping his feet and with his tail curled over his back ... and I shut the bedroom door and went back to sleep.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts