Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The tip of my cat's tail was accidentally shut in the door just for a moment. The door didn't fully close but did trap her tail between the wood. She didn't make a noise when it happened. When I checked her tail I can't see anything noticeably wrong with it but I can't tell if the tip is squashed at all because it gets thinner there (it's just the last 3-5cm). She pulls her tail back and makes a grumpy face when it's touched. She is still waving it about like normal in that tail curving sort of way and it's not obviously bent or anything. She didn't run off to hide or anything. My partner thinks it is ok and she seems ok, but I've read articles now that cats can get nerve damage or paralysis from a crushed tail, so I'm still concerned. I can't afford to take her to the vet immediately because I just spent all my money on having her in for another concern and I don't get paid for about a week and a half. Is there any way to check for a crushed tail or nerve damage or do I need to find a way to get the money to get her to the vet again?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I would not worry about this. I doubt the tail is crushed, just bruised and sore. She's acting quite reasonably, given the accident. You'd not want someone poking at your bruised fingers if your hand had been caught in the door. ;) If it were really bad she'd probably have bitten or scratched you by now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much. =) Yes, I totally understand her not wanting it touched. I just wanted to see if it was ok but didn't know how to figure that out. Thanks for your advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts