Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Andy and Bugsy, best buds!
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more of a statement than a question. We've had many cats in our household, and from my experience typical cats stay in your lap until they are ready to leave and then they abruptly jump off. That's just an endearing cat trait because they are so independent. However, our dear departed Milo stayed there and just snored until we removed him. Our current Bugsy does that as well. He will stay there for hours and I just pick him up softly and move him to a different area of the couch so I can get up. Weird how cats are so different.

·
Registered
Phoenix, Tiger & Crackhead!!!
222 Posts
Neither Phoenix nor Tiger will stay in my lap, they were feral when young and they just don't feel comfortable with it, I guess. Crackhead likes to sit on my lap as I watch movies, he'll climb up and purr away as I sip a cold beverage and watch my entertainment. Sometimes he'll actually watch the big screen if there are cats or horses in the movie, lol. Tiger does that too from the safety of the nearby rack. Bear is a bit of a lap cat, but I have to place the afghan on my lap first: Bear likes to knead his paws while purring away, and his claws are sharp! The big dummy... but he's not a bad cat, once ya take steps to protect yourself from those claws of his. I'm trying to train him NOT to use the claws, but he's a slow learner, lol. :confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Loreta used to sit on my lap for hours. Then she had the babies and she doesn't come anymore. If I pick her up and sit her on my lap, she stays for a bit (5 minutes, 10 tops) and then she leaves. But I don't do this often because I have a sensation she doesn't like to be picked up. I miss having her on my lap. 😢

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, based on the responses I guess I should be happy that Bugsy stays on my lap. Bombays are medium-sized but they are very muscular so it isn't easy to move him. BTW he snores frequently because of his little snub nose and it is adorable! Andy stays on my partner's lap until we tell him it is time for bedtime but Bugsy could care less. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
Phoenix, Tiger & Crackhead!!!
222 Posts
That Bugsy sure is a classic character with those crazy eyes... he reminds me of "Toothless" in the 'HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON' films, lol. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
In my childhood we always had cats, and they always stayed as long as possible on our laps. Perhaps in part because we lived in such a cold climate.

We didn't like to disturb a peacefully sleeping cat so we had a sort or rule in the family that having a cat on your lap excused you from having to get up. It was acceptable to say, "Please get the phone, I have a cat on my lap", or "can you bring me a glass of water, I have a cat on my lap".

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That Bugsy sure is a classic character with those crazy eyes... he reminds me of "Toothless" in the 'HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON' films, lol. :)
Yes he is definitely Toothless in How To Train Your Dragon. :)

Reactions: imamuggie

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I have currently 2 Devon Rexes, and before had a white one that died some years ago at age 12. All 3 were unrelated and all lap cats. I think it's genetic with the breed. The wonderful thing is that their coats don't shed. Can have them nestled in my lap on black pants or skirt and never have to remove any hair.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts