Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am bringing my longhair cats to the groomer on Friday to be shaved. Every summer, besides the crazy amount of hair in the house, those cats are constantly swallowing their own and each other's hair, so I wanted to do something about it. But I'm dreading it because Fiddlehead is so afraid of people and strange noises (buzzers). However, part of me knows it's actually best for him. His fur gets so incredibly matted every summer as soon as the littlest bit of humidity touches it.

But here's my question...will cats be freaked out when they're done being shaved and they have no hair? I know I will end up laughing my ass off because Yeti is a Maine Coon, so when he has no hair, he's going to be so skinny. I was thinking of the lion cut, but then I feel bad for the cats because they really will cause so much laughter. And I don't need them shaved bald, for fear that they'll end up itching like crazy when the hair grows back (does that happen?). Anyway, has anyone has any interesting experiences having their cats groomed in this way? Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GREAT idea!

Yes, I will definitely take befores and afters. I cut Fiddlehead's hair myself last year (so traumatic for us both that I had to go elsewhere this year) and that picture STILL cracks me up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can see before and after pictures of Fiddlehead from last year's fiasco (I cut his fur with SCISSORS...and he kept snapping at me, so I was afraid I was going to stab him to death. I was hysterically crying because I had given him sedatives but they weren't working because he was still very moody when I tried to snip around his butt. I was so frustrated). Anyway, you can see my other cats and more than you ever wanted to know about me on my Web site. Scroll down to see the cats.

http://users.adelphia.net/~kerrysuz/

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I enjoyed all your photos, thanks for sharing! What a beautiful home, pond and garden. :)
I think you did a good job on Fiddlehead. I agree we would love some pictures after he comes back from the groomers.
All your cats are lovely! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
last summer I had my longhaired female shaved. She came back from the groomers with the attitude that she spent the day at a spa. This year she's going back. Makes summer easier on everyone. :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
My cat went through a partial shaving about two years ago - belly, butt, and some shoulder area was shaved down. The vet who did it actually put her under for the shaving - maybe because to save her the stress of the procedure.

When she came home, she crept/scurried from the carrier into the bedroom and under the bed with her belly very close to the floor (something definitely felt weird to her and she didn't quite know what it was or what to do). An hour or so later she emerged, and seemed to have forgotten all about the haircut.

·
Registered
865 Posts
hahahah - looks like she's made of cottonballs!

Beautiful pond, gardens and home though. That's a LOT of work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Now here's my question, since I've got a Persian for the first time: how much does a full-on shave run? Actually, Pasha really needs just his tummy and legs done... he loves to have his neck and back brushed, but he refuses to let me near the underside! :oops:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts