Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound silly but the other night I put on a beauty mask that was bright green. I was to leave this on my face for 10 minutes before rinsing off. When I walked out of the bathroom to let the mask set, I half expected my one-year old cat to freak out when she saw me. She is pretty attached to me and follows me everywhere. Well, I walked out and say Hi to her and although she looked at me, she didn't flinch. Also, I recalled last Halloween when I had a costume mask on. I didn't have her at the time but same thing with my other two cats - they heard my voice but didn't freak out at all. This brings me to my question. How well do cats see? Why didn't my cat notice the bright green goop on my face? Or maybe she did and it didn't appear to be "abnormal" enough for her to react. Any thoughts? :?:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I think that cat's recognize their loved ones more by scent than by sight. Since the mask didn't change your scent, he still recognized you.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I'm sure she thought it was odd! But since cat's identify everything by scent and you still smelled like you, I'm sure she knew it was you.

The same way a cat won't recognize a lifelong friend after he/she returns to the vet, they look the same but smell weird.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting responses, thank you. I figured it was due to the things mentioned but always questioned their vision as well. Especially since they seem to have such acute vision at times. Like when my cat can spot a bug in the house all the way on the other side of the room. Or when they detect the slightest movement of a chipmunk out in the bushes. Perhaps they're more keen on movement with their vision and not so much colors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to have a terrible hair style 8O (after back from the barber) and had a smell of chemical on my hair...but my babies still recognized me. :wink:

·
Registered
77 Posts
My cats are really sensitive to some changes. If we wear a hat for instance at least one or two will stare openly and be a bit surprised if not freaked out. When my DH wears a respirator to go up into the attic (fiberglass dust) and forgets to take it out it really scares one of my cats. He's visibly afraid of my DH whom he usually loves.

I've got a set of cat ears on a head band that I'll wear from time to time and my cats definately notice that. I figure they think I'm a poser, but I feel that my true inner nature IS feline! :mrgreen:

~Heather

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Animals will respond mainly to familiar scent (of our bodies) and sound of our voices. Our appearance may make a difference when it comes to their regognizing us if we would change it drastically - as in different brighter colors or shapes than what they are usually seeing us in.
I dressed differently one time and went to see some of the outdoor dogs I was caring for in Romania. They growled and barked at me from their enclosure like I was there worse enemy. As soon as I started talking to them they were all happier - that was what made the difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts