Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitten Chester (not so much a kitten anymore) who is about 7 months old met my friend's 2 year old son for the first time this weekend. It was his first interaction with a child as far as I know. Well Chester was spooked! He immediately arched his back with fur standing on end and then hissed at him! I have never seen Chester hiss before.

We left for a while and when we came back "Noah", the 2 year old, was all tuckered out and took a nap so the kitties figured it was safe. Well Noah woke up and ambushed both of them and Willis squatted way down with eyes all dilated and ears flattened. He then made a quick bolt for the kitchen and promptly hid behind the oven and Chester hissed again and ran off.

They have never acted like this towards an adult. Why are they so scared of kids?

P.S. I have seen Willis hiss and hide at a 5 year old and 8 year old too in the past.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
My guess is that a two-year old is more the size of another animal, not the size of the humans they're used to. So perhaps the cats reacted more like the kid was a threat by another unknown kind of animal. I'm sure they'll get used to children if they're around them enough to learn they're not a threat. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Kids are typically loud and unpredictable. They give off high pitched screeches for no reason. Anyone I've known who had a cat before they had kids ends up with a cat that avoids the kid from the time the kid is mobile until it reasons about 6 years old. When the kids starts acting a little more sedate, the cat comes back around. On the other hand, I've found if some gets a kitten while the kids are toddlers, the kitten gets used to it really quickly and has a high tolerance.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Children also tend to stare directly with little facial expression to soften the look, which could convey a threat to a kitty. Children are also 'jerky' in their movments, which denotes danger or an oddity to a cat.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Chester doesn't know that Noah is the human equivalent of a kitten, so he thinks Noah is another, unknown, and therefore scary, animal. Also, Noah hasn't learned about "being kind to animals" yet.
I agree with the points Heidi, Doodlebug, and Coaster have brought up, too.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your replies. It all makes sense. My boyfriend said pretty much the same thing that young kids are unpredictable. noah definately screeched a few times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts