Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cats will eat only:
  1. chicken breast
  2. dry kibble (Orijin, highest quality available here)
  3. canned wet food
  4. chicken liver (thank God!)
  5. chicken kidney
I've tried almost all kinds of meats and organs, unsuccessfully. Letting them go hungry didn't help either. I'm still going to try cow tongue and pork.

They won't eat any meat with even very small bones in it.

Is it ok to give them one of the above each day or should I do something different?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't like sardines or tuna or any other fish either. Prince tasted a tiny bit of grilled salmon without bones the other day, but that was it.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Hmm.. Have you try to mix it th wet or dry food with the raw? I tried that on Misa when I introduce her to the raw and it sort of works..

Maybe others can help you out?? :/

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I tried mixing, didn't work either...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I would definitely want more meats. You can stick to the one species for organs, but I'd worry about having only the one meat type. Whenever I added in a new meat I'd use VERY small pieces of the new meat and small pieces of the old meat as well. That way they might not smell the different meat among the stuff they are used to. Slowly add slightly larger pieces of the new meat so he eventually realizes he's eating it. That usually worked for me, unless they actually disliked the taste. But usually it has nothing to do with taste and everything to do with not wanting to try something new.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Can you get meat variety in their wet food? That's how I deal with the issue. I can't find enough raw variety to do only that, so I supplement with a wide variety of wet foods in the morning so the cats aren't just getting nothing but chicken and turkey.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Have you tried raw rabbit at all? If there's one single meat that all my girls go absolutely crazy for, no matter what, it's rabbit. I can buy whole skinned rabbit (minus the head) at my local Asian market...it's surprisingly easy to cut up, and there's very little waste as there is very little fat. If you can find it where you are, I suggest you give it a try. :)

Saitenyo had another great idea. Supplement with different flavors of canned. Maybe feed every canned flavor but chicken, so they get a full spectrum of flavors, while still getting their raw chicken.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Siamese, that's one I haven't tried. I'll do that as of tomorrow, will report. Do you mean mixing tiny cubes of, say, chicken breast, with tiny cubes of, say, chicken heart? Actually, these meats are not new to them, they used to eat them at the beginning when they didn't know better. Eg: Prince would gobble down chicken hearts, then one day stopped touching them, seemed he preferred to starve to death than eat them.

We don't have rabbit here, I don't know why...

I do give a variety of meats in wet food, but I always assume that the amount of actual meat in those cans is very small...

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Have you tried raw rabbit at all? If there's one single meat that all my girls go absolutely crazy for, no matter what, it's rabbit. I can buy whole skinned rabbit (minus the head) at my local Asian market...it's surprisingly easy to cut up, and there's very little waste as there is very little fat. If you can find it where you are, I suggest you give it a try. :)
Misa loves Rabbit in wet food style, but not sure in raw. The boys like raw rabbit though. MY sister has not given them that lately.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Siamese, that's one I haven't tried. I'll do that as of tomorrow, will report. Do you mean mixing tiny cubes of, say, chicken breast, with tiny cubes of, say, chicken heart?
Yes, and, to start, make the majority of it the meat he likes. At first you want him to accidentally eat the new meat, which is easy(er) if it's small. If he's eating the new meat without spitting it out you can add more small pieces until there is more of the new than the old. You might also want to soak the new meat in the juices of the meat he likes so he can't smell a strong difference.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Siamese, it's working! I had tried before, but I had put mostly the new food. Now I mixed tiny bits of brain in their can of Felix and they've been eating it. Thank you! This way I can get away with making them eat any meat I want, such as hearts, drumstick meat, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts