Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have two great kitties named Furby and Jellybean. They’re great cats, but they keep getting up on the table and messing with the plants and knocking stuff off of the table. They know they aren’t supposed to be on the table, so they only do it if no one is around. How can I get them to stop?

·
Super Moderator
26,765 Posts
I pick my battles and this is not one of them. I make sure there's nothing breakable on the table, and I would never put plants where they can get to them because they would just make a mess. If my cats break something in the house, I only have myself to blame. Cats just love being up high.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You cannot train cats not to do something when you are not around. As a person who has lived with cats all my life I know this to be true. I simply do not have plants and that solves that, and I never put anything breakable or precious in a place that the cat can get to. This is one of the disadvantages, in my mind, to having a cat. Unlike dogs, they will mostly do whatever they want to do, and there is almost no place in the house they cannot get to unless it is behind a closed door.

·
Registered
Phoenix, Tiger & Crackhead!!!
225 Posts
I suggest that you put the plants on small custom-built shelves, or in some of those holders which you hang on the walls. That would solve the plant problem... if the cats don't have the room to land upon the shelves (or atop the hanging holders), they shouldn't even try to get up there. Remember those hanging pot holders, the ones made of macrame or whatever, suspended from the ceiling? What about something like that? As for the other stuff, well, find places where the cats won't mess with it, lol. Tall order, I know, but you can minimize the risk of breakage or damage by placing things where cats can't reach 'em. For example, I have some knickknacks and objects of sentimental value in a glass-fronted cabinet, so folks can see the objects but the cats can't mess with them, lol. I mean, how do ya keep a cat from being a cat? It's impossible... ;)

·
Registered
Andy and Bugsy, best buds!
193 Posts
Yes, we watched as Andy jumped up on the table and slowly slid a very nice vase off with his paw. It shattered all over the floor. No amount of training has caused him not to jump on tables or counters. But we love him more than the vase so we just make sure there is nothing valuable within his reach.

Just be glad you don't have our Bugsy. He has opened my desk drawer to get to his food in a baggie (and opened that) and has also opened a bag of cat food left on the counter and scattered it all over the floor. His foster warned us that he could open cabinets and he has proven her right. But we love him for his intelligence.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The cat probably knows you don't want it on the table. It just doesn't care and does what it wants.
My Loreta climbs on the kitchen counter. If I arrive, she meows at me because she knows I'll ask her to go down, gently direct her to the floor and, if I'm in a hurry or the counter a mess, give up and let her be. If my wife arrives, she jumps off immediately as my wife will just pick her up and put her on the floor (and she is not a great fan of being picked up).
Same goes for other stuff. Like jumping the patio wall into the neighbour's patio. If I'm out with her she doesn't go but if I turn my back she jumps.
oh! And I tried the tin foil trick on the kitchen counter and it didn't work. Loreta stepped on it without even thinking about it.
She can open sliding doors and some drawers (if they have a front hole for her to put the paw and pull)

·
Registered
Andy and Bugsy, best buds!
193 Posts
Loreta sounds like a real character. I love her already. Andy is really bad about jumping up on the table when I'm eating lunch and the kitchen counter when I'm cooking. No matter how many times I put him down he just jumps back up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks! I love Loreta too! Never thought I would so much!
About Andy and the kitchen counter... I do something, doesn't work always, but sometimes it does, it depends on what I'm cooking. Maybe it will work with him too.
I have one "IKEA stool with steps to reach high cabinets" that is almost as high as the counter. I put it next to me and touching the counter and as soon as Loreta jumps on the counter I push her or picker her up and put her there. Then she stands and watches (she can see all) and I even let her smell some stuff if she starts to move. Of course that this fails if I'm handling meat, sausages or fish. But for a bit she seems happy to be able to watch and she doesn't get on the counter.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Have you tried any of those deterrent/repellent sprays, such as sssCAT! ? They've quite effective in discouraging a cat from jumping on a table. Plants can be deterrents as well---Cacti usually. I have 3 Hibiscus plants, and a Clivia plant in my living room that they ignore, but they'll go straight for a Palm plant that they love to munch on in a bedroom, so have to keep the door closed. Some plants are poisonous, such as the most Lilies, such as Peace Lily. Have a Peace Lily also in the bedroom, but cats have never shown any interest in it, tho it on the toxic list.

Reactions: miscellaneous

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am very interested to hear that deterrent sprays have worked for you. I have tried them and they never made any difference, although the cat would wrinkle up his nose at the smell. I guess it's another one of those things that works for some cats and not for others. I am glad to hear they work for some cats, though, because it means it's worth a try to see if it works on your cat.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I pick my battles and this is not one of them.
lol and absolutely! Plants have become one with the backyard, wicker baskets have been replaced with Tupperware, knick-knacks have been re-homed, holiday decorations are just fond memories, there are more cat trees, cat condos, and cat cubes than actual furniture, and we're all drinking from BPA-free plastic cups. Worth it!

·
Registered
229 Posts
"Happy Father wrote: I have one "IKEA stool with steps to reach high cabinets" that is almost as high as the counter. I put it next to me and touching the counter and as soon as Loreta jumps on the counter I push her or picker her up and put her there".

Great idea! I squeezed a tall, skinny cat tree next to the kitchen table. The plan was to get Sophie to sit on the tree while she watches me prepare meals instead of jumping on the counter. It's been 2 months and we're still working on it . Apparently, she didn't get the memo. Also, if I turn to the fridge which is literally 3 steps away, she can grab a slice of bread and be off and running in 3 seconds flat!

·
Registered
290 Posts
When I was a child we always put a chair or stool near the dining table at dinner so the cat could sit there and watch us eat. He never fussed to get food because we had never given him any; he just liked to watch and smell.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I never tried repellents nor lemon slices. Just the aluminium foil (that didn't work). If things are going too wrong we just close the kitchen door leaving Loreta out. But most times she is around.
I give her the meal before we sit at the table so that she is not watching us hungry.
But sometimes all fails! Last Friday night I had a wonderful pork meatloaf with ham and cheese, and I cooked it with garlic paste and wine and laurel and it smelled delicious! And as I got off the table to get something missing, Loreta jumped from her IKEA stool to my chair and then put her front paws on the table and didn't nibble meat from my plate because my wife and kids started "No, Loreta, no! Down, Loreta!". She is not a fan of noise so she backed and looked at me and eventually jumped on the floor when I got back to sit down. The remaining meals in the weekend she didn't even looked (although she was walking around my wife while she was handling a large veal block).
I guess her past as street cat and eating people's left overs from the trash and the likes developed a taste in her for human food, even if we never fed her at the table.
Cacti, my wife has two small ones near the coffee machine and the electric boiler. Loreta just ignores them. Once I planted catnip, she ignored it too, preferred to nibble on the grass and other stuff that grows on the yard.

·
Registered
106 Posts
When we adopted our two cats I decided no cats on the counters or table tops. (You can see where this is going.) When they started jumping on the kitchen counters we said “off” and put them on the floor (obviously our experience is with dogs) I tried orange scented counter wipes, the spikey plastic runners spikes up on the table (you know the kind - one side is for walking and the other has little spikes that go into the rug), double sided cat tape, and Ssscat motion detector spray cans. It was actually pretty comical. Sometimes the Sssscat cans would not be triggered, but then would spray me when I went to check if they were on or just walking past the counter at a distance (to avoid being sprayed). It was like I was being secretly punked on a tv show. Didn’t seem to bother the cats much. Now the cans are put away and there are still random pieces of double sided tape stuck to our counters. Moral of the story? Your cats own the space now.

In all seriousness though our cats do get up there less. It’s one in particular and he gets up usually when I am focused on something on the counter, like opening the mail, and he wants to see, or to have my attention. I just put him back down and after three tries he quits, or gets bored. Maturity will help, too, they are more curious that way when they are young. If you find the magic solution, let me know! And if you want to buy spikey plastic runners, I have a few for sale. 😁

·
Registered
229 Posts
"And if you want to buy spikey plastic runners, I have a few for sale. 😁"

Ha! I'll trade you for a very pretty bamboo bread box. The cats can't get inside, but unfortunately, what goes in the bread box often stays in the bread box until somebody remembers to open it and its turned into a fuzzy green science experiment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts