Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am no expert on human interaction with animals but the thing that keeps surprising me is my cats ability to boost my spirits. I am not depressed or anything like that but the way things are, it's easy to lose your positive attitude now-a-days.

It struck me today as I sit here with a bad back, I was not able to race this weekend due to it, and I was kind of down about it. Max jumped up on my lap (where he is now as I write) and Ben is rubbing against my leg....it just changed my whole mood. I have a big smile, my back feels better...I just feel all around better. It's amazing when you think about it. My cats seem much better at relieving my pain than my doctor!!

I was blessed with Max & Ben, and I feel sorry for those who have not discovered this anomaly.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I agree with you. It's funny how you can be having the worst day and you come home and your kitties cheer you up. My babies do it all the time. It's true what they say, cats really do keep you feeling young, happy, and healthy.

·
Registered
757 Posts
:) Yes, that’s what they say. Studies have proved that people who have cats have lower blood pressure. Thank goodness for cats!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard that it does have a calming effect and I have to agree. It really did make me feel better, almost instantly too! Perhaps my blood pressure lowered and relieved some pain...I don't know but it sure helped.

I sometimes think that it's just me being an "empty nester", my 2 daughters are grown up and have recently moved out ( I raised them as a single dad since 1995) so I clutch on to the cats as dependants.

heh-heh...will I become one of those weird old "cat people"?

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have depression problems sometimes, and I couldn't do it without a cat. Friends and such are a great help too, but nothing can quite give the feeling of being serene than a cat.

I recently moved out to live on my own thinking that that would help me deal with things. However, not having a cat (roommates had always had them) was almost unbearable. There's nothing like waking up to something that's always happy to see you. Moby is my first cat that's my sole responsibility, and nothing could come between me and him.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The only time cats are bad for your health is when they decide they want a big hug at 3am in the mouring after you went to bed a midnight and need to be up at 7am ready for school!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm allergic to my cat, so he's kinda bad for my health, but does have a calming effect when he plops down next to me on the couch and gives me this 'pet me' look.

I agree about that 3am thing though. It's a good thing I don't have a baby, because he likes to smother your face with his bod first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I just thought I'd ask about the allergies thing... I have allergies to dust and dander and animal hair, but I find what (as with my current cat) I'm allergic at first but grow out of it in time. Or other animals for that matter. Has anyone else found this? My allergies are slight compared to others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts