Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have two cats. One I got when she was a kitten and is now 1 year old, I'll call her K. I adopted the other one when she was 2, and is now like 2.5 years old, who I will call M.

K has always been very shy around strangers, but since we got M her behavior has gotten worse. She is very on edge, will almost always bite after being pet for a few seconds. She is only affectionate right before she is fed, or right when I get home when she will come sit on my lap. She is constantly nervous, hides when anyone comes over, and won't sleep in our bed.

M is a fantastic cat. Truly top notch. She is the cuddliest most lovable cat. Sleeps with us, plays perfectly, greets me, etc. But she will attack K all the time, which is odd because K is bigger and has her claws, unlike M. When M comes into our bed to cuddle, I can tell she is alert and watching out for K. If she walks by the door, M will sometimes bolt out and charge her. Usually she just runs at her and slaps her around a little bit. These little attacks happen a few times a day, and K usually just runs away or backs of and hisses. But it has K constantly on edge fearing an attack.

The two cats never cuddle and can be pretty close without being aggressive, but M will go at her constantly.

Is there anything I can do to
- Help K be more comfortable
- Prevent M from being so aggressive

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
First, why the intials?? Are you protecting their identities? Are they in the witness relocation program? :)

Second, how old was K when she left her litter? Probably too young and she never learned how to interact w/ other cats. That's hard to fix. I would recommend that you get Feliway ( FELIWAY - Official Site ) to help both cats relax. If they respond well to catnip, throw catnip parties.

Third, they are both female. In my experience, this is the hardest combo to make work. 2 neutered males tends to be easiest, a spayed female and neutered male next. 2 spayed females will often have issues. Before everyone launches in with their 2 females who love each other, of COURSE this is not ALWAYS the case. But in my experience it is the combo most likely to result in problems.

Finally, how did you do the introduction? If the intro is rushed, often problems occur that are hard to back out of later on. The intros that tend to work the best are the most drawn out (3-4 weeks).

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Has K been to the vet recently? If M is sensing K is sick, that could be a reson for M to go after her.

I would agree with what hoofmaiden told you; you may need separate them and reintroduce them.

Also, it might help if you could play with K when M is not in the same room. Use a wand type toy. Same with M - tire her out so she has less energy to chase K. Then maybe you can try playing with them both in the same room together. Give treats together.

Do you have any cat furniture so they don't have to be in a room on the same level?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll definitely try some of these tactics.

I don't know why I'm using initials... guess it's just habit to try and stay slightly anonymous online.

K has not been to the vet recently, but the fur on her back near her tail has been matting recently. We are in a new apt that is a bit warmer than our last. It's not that bad, and I can usually pick it apart while she eats. They are both shedding a ton. But no sickness, no recent vet visits.

Their introduction was heavily structured. A few days of each of the following steps:
- Separate rooms, door shut
- Door slightly cracked, enough to see eachother
- Large pet dividers fully blocking open door but preventing contact
- Living room split in two by pet dividers

Took about 2 weeks before they were roaming around freely. Food and litter kept separate for about 3-4 weeks total.

I have tons of furniture/chairs at various levels and they are always moving around. The one time they are pretty close is when they are under the bed
sleeping, but I imagine not that close.

Also just wanted to be clear- these aren't cat fights or intense encounters where they both get riled up. Rarely is there hissing. They last 5-10 seconds each, and happen a few times a day. M just bolts or sneaks up on K, who runs away or briefly fights back. But I think this is enough that K is constantly anxious and scared.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
K has not been to the vet recently, but the fur on her back near her tail has been matting recently. We are in a new apt that is a bit warmer than our last. It's not that bad, and I can usually pick it apart while she eats. They are both shedding a ton. But no sickness, no recent vet visits.
The matting over the tail suggests overgrooming (usually caused by stress). I had a cat once who did that--it was hard to deal with.

Basically sounds like there is a lot of stress overall. I would get Feliway and work on various ways to reduce stress.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts