Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mow's a medium hair and he's always been rather poofy. It was hard to gauge his weight by just looking because of his coat. In the past month his coat and smoothed out and become much softer and sleek. It lays closer to his body and is less frizzy. It's also has a strange...glow almost. The tips of the hairs themselves seem lighter and catch the light.

I've had him for 3 years and the change was sudden. The only thing I've changed is his food. Just about a month ago I started feeding him EVO 95% + Pumpkin AM + Probiotic PM.

He was on a good quality cat food before so could the change in food really make that much of a difference in texture and especially color? Or is the color change just the old dried out hairs that will fall out..?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
There was a cat at the sanctuary I volunteer at that changed coat dramatically when she got better food.

The first batch of food donated to us was pitifully low quality... I think the first 3 ingredients were different types of corn-something! Anyway, her fur was thick and clumpy, dull, dry and people always thought she was just an old cat because of how she looked (I think she's only 3 or 4).
Then we got some better food that has meat stuff somewhere in the first 3 ingredients and then a little corn I think. Whatever the new formula is, MUCH better! Her coat has 'thinned' out, not in clumps and is a uniform pelt, silky and shiny. At first I thought somebody had finally brushed her, but it's even better than just that after I got to observing it more.
Also, she had horrible diarrhea (along with several other cats), and now stools are firming up and not stinking as bad too.

She is also sort of medium hair, too... kind of a "short medium" I guess.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Food will definitely do it.

Athena used to have really disheveled, ratty, sometimes even greasy fur, then I put her on Primal and her coat became astoundingly soft and sleek. Apollo's fur softened on this food too.

Even if he was on good quality food before, it could be there's something in the Evo that's specifically benefitting his skin/coat. I'm not sure what specific nutrients affect a cat's coat and skin...but clearly there's a higher percentage of them in his new food!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm so pleased with the change in his appearance and health. His coat is SOOOO soft and super shiny. His eyes are bright and don't have crusties in them like they used too.

I'm not sure how I feel about the abundance of energy he seems to have lately. He used to be so lethargic and happy to snooze all day on the bed. Now he's a WILD man. I came home from the grocery store to find the entire mornings paper (that I hadn't read yet) *shredded* all over the living room. I don't even have the heart to clean it up because he's still dive bombing into it and dragging it all over the place.

:p

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Now he's a WILD man. I came home from the grocery store to find the entire mornings paper (that I hadn't read yet) *shredded* all over the living room. I don't even have the heart to clean it up because he's still dive bombing into it and dragging it all over the place.

:p
*pictures that in my mind* ROTFL!!!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He really is an incredibly destructive cat, thankfully he's pretty good at keeping it to disposable (newspapers, plastic shower curtains, cat toys, random cardboard boxes) items but he requires constant attention. Today he tried to shred my bedskirt rabbit kicking it. When I squirt him with the water bottle and told him no he ran into the living room and attacked his cardboard scratcher and tore giant chunks out of it. A few days ago I washed some plastic cups and left them drying on a dishtowel. He systemically knocked each one off and watched them bounce across the tile floor....Man, I love that **** cat.

He does things that drive me absolutely BONKERS but then looks up at me with big round eyes and trills and all I can do is laugh at him.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
EVO 95% has an extremely high fat content compared to other foods...for example EVO chicken and turkey is 10% as compared to Wellness CORE at 7% or Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken at 1.4%. Skin and coat love high fat diets...

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's super high fat should I worry about his liver/kidneys? ALso, if it's super high fat shouldn't he be gaining weight? He's eating MORE of the EVO and not gaining weight...

·
Banned
952 Posts
If it's super high fat should I worry about his liver/kidneys? ALso, if it's super high fat shouldn't he be gaining weight? He's eating MORE of the EVO and not gaining weight...
Cats actually require a fairly good fat content; their normal prey runs from the mid-teens up to the high-twenties. Unless MowMow starts putting on weight, I wouldn't change a thing... clearly, he's doing well on the Evo. :love2

AC

·
Banned
952 Posts
He really is an incredibly destructive cat, thankfully he's pretty good at keeping it to disposable (newspapers, plastic shower curtains, cat toys, random cardboard boxes) items but he requires constant attention. Today he tried to shred my bedskirt rabbit kicking it. When I squirt him with the water bottle and told him no he ran into the living room and attacked his cardboard scratcher and tore giant chunks out of it. A few days ago I washed some plastic cups and left them drying on a dishtowel. He systemically knocked each one off and watched them bounce across the tile floor....Man, I love that **** cat.

He does things that drive me absolutely BONKERS but then looks up at me with big round eyes and trills and all I can do is laugh at him.
I feel your pain! My Allen loves to shred paper towel rolls, he just can't seem to leave them alone... and heaven forbid you try to take one he's "captured".

This is what I came home to one day... and, no, I don't keep paper towels in the living room!

A different incident; this pic was taken just after I tried to reclaim the paper towels.

AC

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah, at the sanctuary I volunteer at, while you're cleaning you have to either hold the paper towel roll yourself, or go put it back up on the wall rack... there are at least 3 cats in each room who WILL get to it, even if it's unattended for a split second! I have saved rolls that only got holes in them, but could've been TORN if I wasn't quicker! LOL Sometimes I wish they were in cages, especially during cleaning time before we have play time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts