Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
So I have a 2yo female (spayed) apple head Siamese. Recently, I rescued a stray female (non spayed) 1yo kitty off the streets.
They were becoming fairly acclimated with one another, no violence.
I took the stray and had her spayed, now all they do is growl, hiss and lunge at one another. Can some shed some light on my situation please ?? Thank you :)

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
This is a common occurrence when you take one cat to the vet......it comes home smelling of the vet office, and "strange" to your other cat who thinks its a different cat. Take a used towel that has your scent on it and rub it around the scent glands on the muzzle and under the tail of the one who stayed home, and then rub it on the head and all over the one that went to the vet. When you interchange the scent it usually helps..

·
Registered
87 Posts
We had a simialr experience when one of ours went to the vet. We tried the towel idea and it did not seem to help for us, and neither one liked it very much. (That was our experience.) I separated them for the rest of the day and kept the one who had been with the vet in the bedroom with us over night. By early the next morning they were talking again. You may not have the same set up, but the bed has all the human and household smells on it, a pretty good place to be when you are stressed from the doctor, and to get covered in home smells.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Three days have passed and they are still fighting. This is insane. The veterinarian just prescribed amitriptyline for both kitties.

·
Registered
Lady Silver Belle The Destroyer, Of Clan Grey Tiger
137 Posts
When they start squaring off, distract the aggressor with a wand toy. Get the cat to play instead of attacking. Give them a treat when they settle down. If that doesn't work, you may need to try the introduction routine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts