Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do NOT like the new ones.

I like the numbers aligned on the right.

What I do like is that they're going to make the portions more realistic. Like a 20 oz. bottle of Coke will now be listed as ONE serving. I hate when the calories look really low and reasonable, then you look closer and realize that a serving is two crackers.

I mean, really, who only eats 1/4 of a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese? (Please don't let me be the only one who eats more than that!)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Lol, I'm pretty sure that the boxes are darn near a serving size.

For myself, I usually eat about 3/4 of a box, and save the rest to eat cold from the fridge the next morning when I'm too lazy to actually make breakfast....what? No one else does that? ( ;) )

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like it cold, too.

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
Lol! Guilty as well!!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
IMO, boxed macaroni and cheese is way better the second day. The noodles stick together and its easier to fork up a mouthful and the c heese is less slimey and has soaked into the noodles.. filling them with orange powder goodness!

And I can EASILY eat an entire box (of course, I also used to weight 300+lbs and that was why :p).

I can probably still polish off a pint of ice cream, an entire bag of lay's classic, and a whole jar of french onion dip (in one sitting) as well... but it wouldn't be pretty...

·
Registered
184 Posts
At first I thought it said "23 cups" for the serving size. I was thinking, "Whoa! What can I eat 23 cups of for only 230 calories?"

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
Some of the proposed changes I agree with like portion size
Like a serving of chips. Who eats 7? Get real.

When we eat mac and cheese we usually have one small portion left over between the 2 of us, so we eat a bit more than 1/3 box each. We never eat it by itself, just as part of a meal. Same with the boxes of wild rice. Michelle O would be SO angry with us!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I like that they are being more realistic. I could polish off a box of Mac and Cheese myself easily but I try not to, but it's so good.

I like that they have the calorie count in big numbers lol, they should make other stuff like fat, sodium, sugar and carbs very visible too, but also its up to people to read these labels and make their choice.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I had to go back and check, but I actually think there's something I like about the first new example. (Now that I'm looking ;) )

The carbs is higher, and it has 3 sections: Fibre, sugars, and 'added sugars'. That makes me wonder what the added sugars are, if you can...not add them???

Since my BF is type 1 diabetic carbs are what we're always checking for.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I think added sugars would be by like sorbito, maltitol, and the like. You know, the fake crap they put in stuff like candy and chocolate to make it low carb... the stuff that can give you TERRIBLE gas and HORRIFYING diarrhea if you eat too much of it?

Anyway, I assumed that's what they were referring to.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And a bag of microwave popcorn is three servings???

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
microwave popcorn is the biggest rip off ever! it's like a 250% markup.

1 brown paper lunch bag + 1/4c popping corn. Fold over the top twice to seal and nuke for 2.5 minutes (or until pops are more than 5 seconds apart).

You get more than a commercial bag and even with a tbsp of real melted butter it only comes to like 220 calories....

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seriously????

I will definitely have to try that. Just the bag and kernels??

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Yup. just fold the top over twice leaving lots of popping room in the bag and stand the bag upright in the microwave.

Dollar store = 50 bags for a dollar and a bag of kernels.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts