Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My male loves the outdoors and I usually don't see him most of the day. He may stop in to see if anything is going on and leave again. Sometimes he is out late at night which I hate. The past few days he stays in the house a lot more and sleeps - under the blanket bed I made him on the sofa. He likes to hide. Now he is sleeping on the chair outside. Maybe he slept most if the day outside and I never knew it. Now I am wondering if something is wrong but I don't have the funds to run to the vet. He is eating normally. Am I just stupid for worrying?

·
Registered
223 Posts
No not stupid, Gizmo did this a couple of years ago, He suddenly starting acting odd, Hiding out of the way and sleeping in his litter box etc.

His appetite was still ok but it turned out he had being clawed by another cat and had an abscess on his neck.

A sudden change in a cats behaviour is almost always worth investigating.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Has the weather changed much in your area? Much of the US has been hit by freezing weather; I wonder if he doesn't like it and wants to stay warm inside? Or maybe there are new animals in the area he doesn't get along with, as Dave suggested.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha ha. I am in SO CA and it has been warm like 70 -80. I just checked him all over and didn't see any punctures. He has white fur so I would think I would see it. I may try to take his temperature but I am kinda scared about that.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
How is his appetite? My indoor/outdoor family cat Cuddles started acting weird and only sleeping on the porch or inside instead of her usual catting around a few years ago, and she suddenly refused to eat. We found out she had eaten a bird and had gotten sick from it - either a bone had gotten lodged or she had gotten some sort of illness from it. My dad forced her to drink/eat and she started getting better within a few days, but it was definitely a scare, and at the time it was impossible to get her to the vet because she was younger and a more rambunctious stray and would bite us if we even tried to put her in a carrier (nowadays she's older and slower and lets us take her! lol)

You're definitely not stupid for worrying - it could definitely be something going on, either with him healthwise or maybe another cat or animal is in the area and freaking him out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts