Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to get two kittens. One NFC the other a birman. I have realised that these are pricey cats and want to be more reasonable.I cancelled both kittens adoption processes and I will eventually go with a moggie or two. Anyone can tell me about their awesome moggie cats?
:kittyball

·
Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
There's no difference. Purebred cats and moggies are both awesome! :grin: It's all about personalities, not parentage.

Are you still thinking about kittens? You may want to think about getting two bonded adults. I LOVE my girls, but I don't think I'd ever get kittens again, they can be quite a lot of work.

Here's a thread about my twinz first days home. If you're considering kittens, you'll be glad you're getting two, they're a handful.

http://www.catforum.com/forum/41-meet-my-kitty/108999-cali-charlee-home.html

·
Registered
275 Posts
My moggies are awesome. They bring a smile to my face every day. They all have different personalities but each won my heart in different ways.
You can find some wonderful kittens and adult cats through rescue groups. (petfinder)
You can often find what appear to be pure bred cats in rescues too. Personality is the most important. You want cats that will fit into your household. If you are gone alot, for example, you don't want a "needy" cat who craves a lot of attention. If you want a "snuggle buddy" you want to look for that when picking out a cat (hold them and see if the snuggle in or stiffen up)
Bonded pairs are great if you are looking for two. One humane organization here advertises them as "perfect pairs" :)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
About 3.5 years ago I was in a similar position as you. I had my heart set on a Ragdoll or Birman kitten. I then decided why pay all that money for a pure bred when I can rescue an equally beautiful cat? It took me a little while to find her but as soon as I saw Meeka, I knew she was the kitten for us. All 3 of our cats are "moggies" and we absolutely love them all :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All this information is helpful. Thank you very much for your honest opinions. I'm still a bit saddened that we won't be getting the kittens. I want to wait until we move out before getting any. We will be moving in May to a 5 and a half :) I went to the nature store just now and saw adorable moggies! You guys are right about them ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think purebreds and moggies are equally adorable - depends on what you want. I have one young adult cat and two kittens. Talk about a handful! This morning the kittens discovered that wrestling in the litter box was the most fun ever... sheesh... I call my house Cirque du Chat because someone is always airborne! I love to watch their antics though - never a dull moment and lots of love.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Just keep in mind that often the 'free moggies' don't turn out to be free... Within a few months of bringing my MowMow home ( a cheap 20.00 adoption) I dropped close to 1700.00 on vet bills.

Not to dissuade you, I think it's way better to adopt than purchase. Just saying, it could still be costly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
my Moggies have been great cats so far, one is a 9 year old grey tuxedo who is very gentle and affectionate
the other a 4 or 5 month old calico who is even clingier than the 9 year old if that is possible.
both cats found me though

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was going to get two kittens. One NFC the other a birman. I have realised that these are pricey cats and want to be more reasonable.I cancelled both kittens adoption processes and I will eventually go with a moggie or two. Anyone can tell me about their awesome moggie cats?
:kittyball
I am on the opposite track. I've had 4 wonderful moggies, 3 of whom are now at the Bridge. My remaining one is a sweet cat. I have always wanted a lap cat, though, and for some reason I did not have a knack at picking moggies that were likely to be lap cats. Only one of my 4 let me pick her up and rock her in my lap. So I just went out and adopted a purebred Chartreux because they are supposed to have very affectionate personalities and be socialized at a very young age. So far so good.

I would advise if you go to a shelter to spend some time with the cats and see which ones have a natural affinity for you. If you want to rescue a frightened or abused cat, just realize that it will take longer for him/her to trust you. My one remaining moggie Nutmeg was rescued from the local town animal control department. she and I have a very strong bond now, but it took a while to build.

Good luck!

·
Registered
169 Posts
How can you tell if a kitten will be an affectionate cat?
My two were brothers born in a shelter. I had a look at the available kittens (btw it was the first shelter I'd been to), and I knew I didn't want to handle all the kittens...I felt i would fall in love with all of them that way! LOL. I saw the brown tabby kitten...i knew i loved his look. The cage was opened...And he came right up to me without hesitation for snuggles and petting. He was super affectionate the moment i met him and he is still. Their personalities can be quite obvious from the start. His brother was more timid at first....much more timid, but he's grown in confidence a few months on and he loves people too, but the difference in personality i saw that first day, still remains. The tabby is hyper and super needy as always, and the black cat is more stoic and independent, and he has a very gentle spirit, despite appearing larger and stockier. Some kittens/cats are growers when it comes to giving/recieving affection, whilst others are obviously demonstrative from the start.

Both my cats are moggies, and delightfully well-behaved, the vets always agree. :D

And to the OP, moggies are gorgeous, you won't regret it. Plus they tend to be healthier and live longer, I would assume.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Like Mow Mow said, the monetary difference can sometimes offset it's self. We have way more money invested in Alice during her first years (adopted from a farm) than we do in Truman (Ragdoll). Way more. I also have an incredible amount of money spent on some of Oscars health issues.

I pick up my second Ragdoll this Thursday. He'll have had all of his first years worth of shots and worming, neutered, and a two year health guarantee. His parents have been DNA tested to ensure they don't carry any HCM mutations.

You get what you pay for from a good breeder.

I'm not trying to change any ones mind. I love both of my moggies to pieces and back. Oscar is my boy. My best buddy. I wouldn't trade him for any thing. Nuthin. But he costs money, too.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
You might find this "Cat Breed Selector" helpful in your choice, even tho you are considering "moggies". The thing about pedigreed cats is that, generally speaking, a breed has a more consistent personality and behavior. Like choosing dogs, it's important to know breed or background breeds to understand its activity level and personality. If you're a laid-back person that wants a quiet not too active cat, one shouldn't consider a Cornish Rex.

Animal Planet :: Guides :: Cat Breed Selector

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Economic times have been tough. The shelters have plenty of pure bred cats. Check petfinder.com.

Also look for breed specific rescues.

A quick Google brought up a Norwegian Forest Cat Rescue. There' one in some state in the middle of the US (I'm not good at identifying fly-over states). You might be able to find one later or be able to find a down on his luck NFC or Birman close by on Pet Finder.

Xander could use a good home
Petfinder Adoptable Cat | Siamese | Baton Rouge, LA | Xander

·
Registered
786 Posts
Both of my current kittens are moggies from a rescue. I wouldn't trade them for the world, but I am getting a purebred kitten this summer from a good breeder that does DNA testing, all shots, 2 yr health gaurentee..

I think adopting from shelters and rescues are fantastic, but as other mentioned already, you don't know what you are getting... health wise and personailty wise. Not that purebreds are 100% certain but yes you are more certain of what you are getting, plus with the health gaurentee chances are they won't develop all these health problems.

One of my moggies is perfectly healthy, nothing wrong so far in any way. (knock on wood), the other however is a different story. She has lots of stomach and digestion issues that has cost me lots of money in trying to figure out what is wrong with her and meds to try and stop it.... to this day they still haven't found out the problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.