Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 month old siberian kitten and I have started him on a raw diet over the past couple of days. I am feeding him stella and chewy's dehydrated chicken and salmon as my go to since he loves it. I also have been feeding him the duck bites by NV. This past weekend I bought the Earth Animal Raw Complete supplement which I have been adding to ground turkey and a chicken meat mix of gizzards/thigh meat/heart that I found at the farmers market. He has eaten well the past couple of days. yesterday I fed him in the morning-didn't eat much then when I got home from work about 6:30 -- ate more then and then he ate some for a snack around 11 pm. This morning he was not interested in food. I worried about leaving him all day without food... I did end up feeding him a few Stella and Chewy dry nibbles for treats so his tummy isn't completely empty.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or tips?
Thanks-Ellen

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Maybe he is tired of the same meat every meal. Could you add more varieties, like beef/pork/rabbit/vension, etc. and see how it goes?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good thought -- what type of ground beef is good to buy for a cat? Pork is okay to feed my little guy? Rabbit and Venison not so easy to find.... thanks!

BTW - your cats are gorgeous... what breed?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I don't think you have to use ground beef. Just buy a chunk and cut them into smaller pieces should be good. Chewing helps execersing kitty jaw muscle and clean his teeth. But I see that you are adding suppliment, so I'm not sure if meat chunk will work in this case. Pork is definitely ok. I had a post asking pork question and turns out lots of ppl here are feeding pork :) Aside from Venison & Rabbit, you can also try quail, duck, and mice. They are not easy to find either but some raw food company offer frozen mice. You can try to see if your kitty likes that. If so, you can forget about suppliment. Whole pray is the best.

Thanks for the praise! My Meatball is also a Siberian, and Metoo is a Birman :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought Meatball looked like a siberian!
The supplement has to be sprinkled on OR mixed in so cutting up the meat shouldn't be a problem. I just simply can't bring a frozen mouse into my home... sorry! ughhh. That is where I have to draw the line. But thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I tried mouse once, but it's a no-go. I guess it's too different from what my cats eat. So no mouse in my home either :) Chunked meat is definitely better than grounded. You may need to start from smaller piece and slowly increase the size though. Your kitty's jaw will need some excercises before it can deal with large meat chunk. Chicken wing-tip is also great for teeth cleaning :)

PS: Siberian cats are great! So loving and loyal. My Meatball just has to be with me all the time :luv

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remy has to be with me all the time too!! He follows me from room to room, he sleeps right by my pillow-sometimes so close that he tickles my nose-too cute! Yeah, my boy had some chicken thigh chunks over the weekend they were on a plate with the raw and he chose the chunks... so maybe that is the way I need to go. This is all so much trial and error but he definitely likes raw above all else and I would be stupid not to get him used to it so young. I've tried a chicken wing and a neck... he's not into it... just have to keep trying I think...
BTW-I am a Queen's University alumni...I was in Toronto several times during my university days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts