Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to give Rocky and Lily some variety, but my Mom is scared that giving them anything besides grammy's pot pie will make them sick (they have had off and on diarrhea lately with just that.) I plan on picking up some of the Thanksgiving day dinner, cowboy cookout, and possibly turducken. Rocky and Lily seem to get bored of grammy's all the time. Would it be ok to give them different flavors?.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I don't see a problem. I feed Io a huge rotation and haven't had any problems - but it could be they have some allergies. I could see them getting intermittent diarrhea if they're sensitive to a single ingredient in Grammy's Pot Pie - since they make it in huge batches, it's possible that, say one can has more X then another or something.

For the last few months at Pet Planet here, a Merrick's "Holiday Chest" has been on sale for $6 - for 8 3oz cans, all the different flavours in the same line as Grammy Pot Pie.
(GPP, Turducken, California Roll, Cowboy Cookout, Thanksgiving Day Feast, Surf n Turf, New England Boil, and... shoot I always forget the last one... Southern chicken or something.)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lily has a grain intolerance and Rocky has a problem with fish so I wouldn't doubt if they are intolerant to other ingredients.

I bought them some Cowboy Cookout and Turducken since the store was out of thanksgiving day dinner :). They love both the Cowboy Cookout and Turducken and cleaned their bowls :)!. They are luckily not very picky. I also bought some of the Evo 95%(?) Venison and I'll see if they like that tomorrow!. They seem glad to have some variety!. :eek:rcat

·
Registered
978 Posts
I don't think you have to worry about changing food when you feed wet. It's only with the dry you have to be careful to avoid stomach upset. I imagine some variety would be nice!

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
My girls get a different flavor every meal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow!, that is a lot of cat food. Rocky would be very jealous. He gets to try the Venison tomorrow so I am crossing my fingers that he likes that as well :)!.

No stomach problems yet, and I first fed him at 1!. He keeps going back to his bowl and meowing that he wants more even though he and Lily went through 1 grammy's, 1 cowboy cookout (they absolutely loved that one), and 1 Turducken today!. Luckily they did not touch their dry.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It's not going to make them sick. I would get bored of eatting the same thing everyday. Also it's best to have cats eat different brand and flavors so they don't become picky eatters. Many a cat owner have paniced when the brand of cat food their cats ate was discontinued, then they are stuck.

Kathy

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
That picture is a couple months old, they don't care for the Grammy's Pot Pie, so that's out of the rotation. Charlee's really my only picky one lately, and all I have to do is put about 7 pieces of kibble on top of whatever food she doesn't like (that day), and she'll eat it all. It seems that once she starts eating, she's fine with it.

It took me a long time to switch them over from Fancy Feast. I buy in bulk from wag.com.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rocky liked the Venison (I always thought it was a bird...), but we have decided to just keep him and Lily to the Merrick. He loves that Cowboy Cookout through... Is it supposed to look like... mush?. He did have some loose movements today but I attribute that to him eating like a piglet :D, he ate half the 5.5 oz of Evo, almost a whole can of cowboy cookout and half a can of grammy's pot pie. He has also been munching on dry food throughout the day. A cat who was less than 2 lbs at just below 7 months when we got him, and could not get him to eat wet food... crazy cat :)...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I used to rotate brands and flavors at every meal, there were like 8 brands I fed and multiple flavors within each. Never had any sort of problem. We only stopped because when I went to college my dad couldn't keep track of all the brands I told him to feed so he dropped down to like four. So unless your cat has an allergy I don't think you'll have any issues. Now if you notice some days his stools are worse than others there may be one flavor that doesn't agree so well with him and you can just try feeding one flavor at a time for a week each and seeing which make his stools soft. But generally switching around isn't an issue with wet food.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts