Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I am thinking of changing my kitten (he's 9 months) food. He is currently on Royal Canin Medi-Cal Kitten formula (dry food). It is a vet brand made in Canada so I don't know how many of you have experience with it. But I feel like its not necessary for him to be on such crazy food. It's not anything about the price it's $50 for a large bag that lasts him about 3 months. I was thinking about gradually changing him over to Eukanuba the vet also recommended it but she was really pushing their brand, of course. When I was talking to a girl in the local pet store she said that such a high brand food like Medi-Cal is more for show cats or cats that are not as healthy. I was just wondering what your recommendations are.

Thanks!

Amanda

·
Registered
48 Posts
Some of Hanx and my favorite foods are:
Natural Balance venison and green pea
Natures Variety Instinct anything
Merrick's grain free cans like Turducken, Grammy's Pot Pie, Thanksgiving Dinner and Surf and Turf
Weruva Steak Frites and various others
b.f.f. Chicken and tuna
Basically he and I both love the grain free cans. I search coupons and am able to get 10% off at my local mom and pop shop that has all sorts of awesome grain free wet selections! PetCo always has discounts on something, too.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Natural Balance venison and green pea
Lickorish would eat it, but Squeek backed away like it was going to bite her! She wouldn't touch it, even after I mixed in other goodies.

We've tried the other ones listed, liked most of them..my kitties didn't care for the Waruva 'shredded' meat texture.

we also like Wellness, at least the chicken one, they don't care for the Turkey so much. Just remember to limit fish.

Just try a variety of good high quality canned foods and see what they like. Then pick from those and rotate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
RC's everywhere over here... and not a very good food, unfortunately :(

Is he on one of the prescription diets? If he's being treated for a medical condition that may skew the recommendations...

In general, though, if you really feel you MUST feed some kibble (ours get some as a nighttime snack, because otherwise they turn into bread-stealing fiends :?), Orijen is excellent, and might be the best bang for your buck. Ours don't actually care much for it, but Acana is also excellent (and made by the same company) and goes over well. I'm not so familiar with other brands over there; we also include "Applaws" and "Porta 21 Feline Finest Sensible Grain-Free" in our rotation, but I don't think you can get those in the US.

Of course, an all-canned diet, with no added vegetable matter, is better than kibble for most cats if you can swing it ;) Note that even "grain-free" cat kibbles include excessive carbs... they have to, to keep their shape. There's no such requirement in wet food, so it's easier to find all-animal-product canned food.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he's not on RC for any prescription diet its just their kitten food he's on.

When ever I look at the wet cat food I feel like it always has so many vegetables in them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
he's not on RC for any prescription diet its just their kitten food he's on.

When ever I look at the wet cat food I feel like it always has so many vegetables in them.
The vegetables aren't terrible, it's basically to mimic what might have been in the animals stomach. Cats would have eaten that and gained those nutrients. I love Natures Variety and the last 10 or so ingredients are fruits/veggies! I don't necessarily like when veggies are some of the first 5 ingredients, but it's better than a lot of the other junk out there!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats true. I figure if the first 5 are meat and the next 5 are fruit and veggies then I'm guessing it's a pretty good food. I'm looking at wellness right now because I have seen that in the local pet store. I'll check out natural balance and Natures Variety.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
The little bit of veggies and fruits in canned food are there to add antioxidents and in some cases as natural sources of vitamins that are cooked out during the heating process. Both are way better for a cat than the huge amount of grains/potatoes/peas/tapioca that are in kibble.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I wouldn't call Royal Canin a high quality food. Anyways, I feed my bunch half raw and half wet canned. For the canned, I switch between Nature's Variety Instinct, Petcurean Go! and Wellness Core.

But yah, you'll want to be choosing grain-free wet choices. I don't know exactly where you are in Ontario but I find Global Pet Foods generally has better choices available (and after their revamp, PetValu changed over to better stuff). Petsmart, Walmart and supermarkets are the worse places.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have a PetValu here, I found most of the ones that everyone listed I grabbed some of the wellness cans right now Oliver seems to like them. He'll only eat about a table spoon at a time but its a start!

·
Registered
278 Posts
We just switched our kitty to BG (Before Grain)96% canned. She loves it and her stomach problems are disappearing. On the Friskies canned and Costco dry the poor girl had frequent diarrhea. The BG comes in chicken, turkey and quail, tuna, salmon, I think beef, also. Getting rid of the grain really has improved our cat's energy level, appearance, and bowel function. Good luck, let us know how the food situation works out for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We just switched our kitty to BG (Before Grain)96% canned. She loves it and her stomach problems are disappearing. On the Friskies canned and Costco dry the poor girl had frequent diarrhea. The BG comes in chicken, turkey and quail, tuna, salmon, I think beef, also. Getting rid of the grain really has improved our cat's energy level, appearance, and bowel function. Good luck, let us know how the food situation works out for you.

I didn't know that BG came in so many different varieties. My local pet store only carries chicken and salmon but I would really like to get some quail for them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So after much research, I am going to do kibble and canned food. I was looking into raw but I know he's going to make a huge mess and drag meat everywhere! But the brands I am trying to decide between for kibble are Before Grain, Nature Variety Instinct and Wellness Core. I think I'm going to go with wellness core for kibble and give him different cans since he seems to like them all!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts