Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding my cats Iams which they seem to like, however after the things I've heard about the company I am thinking of changing to another dry food, I'm just wondering how I would go about this without upsetting their tummys.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
mix the old food with the new one over roughly a week. start off with just a very small emount of new food in with the old food until it is 100% new food. Some cats may take longer if they have more sensative stomachs.
What food were you thinking of changing too, if you dont mind me asking. Even the more expensive ones are not the best either :)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Whiskas and Friskies definitely have alot of corn and by product ingredients. Hopefully you have other options for cat food that you can feed your little babies. Im sure that your cats would be much healthier and happier with more of an all natural food without the by products. Good Luck! :p

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
cat food

I recommend a better quality food than any that have been mentioned. However, I can tell you that you will not find a decent quality food at a grocery store, walmart or costco. The best thing to do is learn *how* to choose a good food. That means reading the labels and understanding what the terms mean. That way you can avoid the really crummy ingredients and buy foods that contain better quality ingredients. I have some free guidelines at http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library , check the articles "Selecting a Good Commercial food" and "Why Cats Need Canned Food."

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
cat food

Hills is way overpriced for what you get; the actual quality of the food is not much better quality than grocery store brands. Their canned foods are marginally better, but their dry foods are not that good for the cat (of course, *no* dry food is very good for cats...). Hills is, however, brilliant at marketing to vets, and vets who sell it make a very nice profit. The profit margin often figures significantly into what foods a vet might recommend. Buying cat food based on financial considerations (especially someone else's!) is usually a mistake.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for the advice I really do want to give my babies something that is good for them, but not no heavy on my bank balance.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I think there is one called something like nutro max or natural or something. Someone here will know what i mean, i cant remember what exactly it is called. It is aparently a pretty good food from what i have read here. Im also in the uk, i couldnt find it anywhere except 1 small shop, and wit 6 cats, and the emount of food they go thru i could never afford it, its pretty expensive. At the moment i feed JamesWelbeloved dry food, mixed in with felix wet food twice a week.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
great thanx, I may have a wander down to ASDA and see what they have they usually have a good varity of food in, I think they have gotton better since becoming part of the Walmart group.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
cat food

Please, NEVER buy pet food at walmart or any discount chain. They are truly awful. If you want to take the greatest risk of mad cow disease, that's where to find it.

Nutro is a good brand; reasonably priced yet far better than similar foods like Iams or Hills, and easy to find in most places (Petsmart and Petco carry it). I think Petco also has Sensible Choice, another decent brand.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Nutro

I think you can get Nutro almost anywhere; look for "Max Cat" in the tiger striped bag or "Natural Choice." Sensible Choice's parent company, Royal Canin, is based in France, so I'm certain you can find it locally too.

Cheers,
Dr> Jean

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I use the Natural Choice, and it is wonderful food. Ask your local pet store (or whoever you get it from) about their programs, too. The parent company of Natural Choice offers partnership promotions with pet stores.

For example:
I signed up with my pet store and every time I purchase a bag of Natural Choice, they track it on a card they keep for me. After 10 purchases or so, I receive a free bag. Also, it signed me up to receive coupons and offers in the mail, which helps with the cost of buying good quality food for my kitty.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I am feeding my cats Chicken Soup for cat lovers dry food and it isn't that much more or it may even be less than what I was feeding them before. This is just to say that there are alot of foods out there, very high quality that don't cost much more than regular grocery store brand food. If you're also looking to feed wet canned food, Nutro Natural has wet food pouches that cats love! Good Luck on finding the right food. :wink:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't mind paying more to get healthy food for my cats but the problem I'm having is any foods I have tried in the past, there droppings have stunk so bad that we want to vacate the house until I clean the litter box out right after they go.

I have read that fish can do that but I have been getting only stuff that have turkey, lamb or chicken as the first ingredient.

Is there a good natural food out there that softens the smell?
I don't want to have to change there food to often while trying to figure this dilemma out.

Thanks,
Debbie

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I feed my cats Chicken Soup and it seems to work well for Twinkie b/c I never really smell his mess but Sugar is another story. I don't know if it is the food but they both eat the same food. Good Luck on finding the right food! :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts