Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's me again lol...

After trying to transition Sparky to Blue Buffalo from the garbage food they fed him at the shelter I have seen little to no improvement in the consistency of his stool, so I am going on the advice of other knowledgeable posters here and going to try another food. There is not a huge selection around me but I have checked with some local stores and I can get Wellness and Felidae brands for sure. Is one of these better than the other?

·
Registered
716 Posts
are we talking canned food? wellness core is very good, its usually the most expensive though

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now he is on dry... found that the canned just made his stool more loose, but I hope to get him on both or exclusively canned eventually. I just don't know what is bothering his system at this point.

I also just discovered that I can also get Natural Balance in the next town over.

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Which BB formula did you try? If it was Wilderness, then we know that going grain-free didn't do it and then I'd suggest a limited ingredient food...Nature's Variety LID Turkey, Cal Natural GF Chicken, Natural Balance LID (Duck, Salmon or Chicken). I'd suggest either the NV Turkey or NB Duck or Salmon so that you're using a more novel protein than chicken.

If it wasn't Wilderness, then just eliminating grains may do it and you could try CORE.

Also...are you sure there are no worms or other parasites?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which BB formula did you try? If it was Wilderness, then we know that going grain-free didn't do it and then I'd suggest a limited ingredient food...Nature's Variety LID Turkey, Cal Natural GF Chicken, Natural Balance LID (Duck, Salmon or Chicken). I'd suggest either the NV Turkey or NB Duck or Salmon so that you're using a more novel protein than chicken.

If it wasn't Wilderness, then just eliminating grains may do it and you could try CORE.

Also...are you sure there are no worms or other parasites?
Thanks so much for your suggestions... He did have worms when we got him but I have had him tested just 10 days ago and he was given a clean bill of health.

The BB he is on right now is the kitten food as he is just about 7 months old so that one does have grains... I may try the CORE for a bit and if even that doesn't work then switch to the limited diet foods.. thanks so much!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The vet just called me back and is saying she would recommend a prescription intestinal diet.... Is that necessary or do you guys and gals thing trying grain free would work?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts