Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this topic has been discussed many time before and in many places, but I always hope someone has a magic answer to make this process easy.

I have been using clumping, clay based litter, for many years—actually, it' the only litter I have ever used. But, now I want to change. The dust problem is just horrible and I have finally gotten so sick of it that I am willing to go through heck for a few days/weeks to get it done.

I want to use a litter that I toss out after use, and one with no dust.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make the process of changing easier? And, can anyone suggest a litter that the cats are less likely to reject yet is not a dusty clay based litter?

I am very concerned that I am going to have three cats urinating and pooping all over the house when this process starts, but I have to stick to the change.

Thanks,
Billy.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I'm lucky in that so far I can change litter and Tuffy never gives any hint that it disturbs him - I just changed to Yesterdays News because I got sick of clumping litter being tracked all over the house. He seem to like it too.

I wish you the best of luck - sorry I don't have any advice, I'm fairly new to being a cat mommy.

·
Registered
709 Posts
When we switched from clay we first started by mixing the new litter with the clay. Slowly reducing the amt of clay.

Now we use a mixture of Swheat Scoop & Clump N Flush. Ultimate litter combo! Totally flushable and clumping, no dust.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I use a litter made by Purina, called MAXX Scoop: Small Spaces. Interestingly, it is a clay clumping litter. However, I don't know what people mean when they refer to "dusty litter", since I've never seen any dust whatsoever. It also does a great job of controlling odor. The only problem is I'm not sure if it's sold in the U.S. If it is, and if your main problem with clay is the dust issue, you might give it a try -- since presumably it will be easy to switch from one clay-based litter to another.

·
Banned
470 Posts
I believe the concern some have with clumping clay is the cummilative long term effect on the environment (strip mined, then superheated using a lot of energy, then ends up in landfills) and that any dust that gets on their feet or fur or is inhaled while scratching would contain some silica or sodium bentonite clumping agent. Thats the main reason they say not to use it with kittens or if you have dogs, as actually eating it would definitely result in an immediate vet visit.

You may not see the dust unless its really excessive, but you may notice it if you put an air-filter in proximity of the box. Not everyone agrees though, so its controversial. There really are no definitive studies, but enough reasonable science to give me pause and consider alternatives. The organic ones are basically farming byproduct and biodegradable too, which is nice that its definitely safe and convenient that you can flush it.
Muzby said:
Now we use a mixture of Swheat Scoop & Clump N Flush. Ultimate litter combo! Totally flushable and clumping, no dust.
Hmm, I have been using Swheat Scoop Multi-Cat formula and World's Greatest (Red Package) mixed. Will have to check out Clump N Flush. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
I use Cat's Pride, Special Kitty or whatever unscented litter is on sale. The cheap stuff is actually less dusty than Fresh Step, and if I never smell that scent again, it'll be too soon.

·
Banned
470 Posts
BTW, I switched my two cats to Swheat Scoop MultiCat cold turkey, and they had no problem.

If yours do have problems, they recommend putting some of the old litter on top of the new stuff. Just a thin layer.

If you did want to go that route, the most economical are the massive 40 pound bags available at Petsmart, which are all over the US.

I could be wrong, but I remember it being $25, which comes out to a tick over 60 cents a pound. Pretty economical in bulk. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use the Petco clumping clay litter...I honestly don't notice alot of dust! I would really like to find something more eco-friendly though...i hate throwing the clumps in the garbage! I'm gonna have to check out the swheat scoop and clump n' flush.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Yeah, and unfortunately while coal strip mining is federally mandated so they have to return fertile soil so that plants can grow again, thats not the case for other strip mining operations. On a related note though, I hope they make a Decepticon out of the Bagger 288 in the next Transformers!!! :D

*bows down to robot overlord*

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, and unfortunately while coal strip mining is federally mandated so they have to return fertile soil so that plants can grow again, thats not the case for other strip mining operations. On a related note though, I hope they make a Decepticon out of the Bagger 288 in the next Transformers!!! :D

*bows down to robot overlord*
OMG is that even real! It almost looks photoshopped! That is the biggest saw blade I've EVER seen!!!!

·
Banned
470 Posts
Totally real, its the largest terrestrial vehicle in the world at present.

It weighs 5,400,000 pounds, no joke. Yes million.

Its actually not a saw, even though it looks like one, its a rotating shovel. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe the concern some have with clumping clay is the cummilative long term effect on the environment (strip mined, then superheated using a lot of energy, then ends up in landfills) and that any dust that gets on their feet or fur or is inhaled while scratching would contain some silica or sodium bentonite clumping agent. ....:)
The environment I am most concerned with at this moment is my own, here at home. I live in a arid region of the southern US and we have to contend with blowing dust, even in suburbia, so dust is a daily battle even without the litter problem.

Two of my cats, I suspect, will have no problems with the change, but my elder guy will certainly protest in his own way because of the change, but I am going to work through the issues with him, slowly, as many mentioned.

I want a non-clay, non-dust litter. I will gladly dump daily to get past this dust problem. Sounds like 'Yesterday's News' is the type of product I am looking for, but I want to try and get it right from the beginning so as not to create further problems.

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am very happy with my recent switch from clay-clumping litters to Feline Pine, the non-clumping version. I scoop out the poo whenever I happen to see it, and stir the boxes once a day. When the box starts to look like 80% sawdust, and 20% pellets, I empty the whole thing into the trash...and this is SO much easier to do than with clay. It is much lighter, and it all slides out...nothing sticks to the bottom unless I let it go too far, and even then it comes loose with a whack or two on the bottom. There is some tracking, but no obvious dust.

I will eventually buy one of their special sifting litterboxes, to save the remaining good pellets. I am also about to start experimenting with wood stove pellets, that look exactly like Feline Pine, but are a whole lot cheaper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts