Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back there was a lengthy discussion of cheese curds on this forum. Some people were nuts about them, and many of the rest of us had no idea what the heck they were :lol:

Since then I've been curious to try some. I was in Wisconsin last week and made a point of visiting a cheesemaker...yum! They were made that morning and had the characteristic squeak of freshness.

We bought two bags, but they were long gone before we made it back east :lol:

I swear I would move to Wisconsin just for the cheese...wish I had bought more :(

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
It took me years to try cheese curds for the first time and Minnesota is the only state separting me from Wisconsin! :lol: I think I avoided them because of the word "curd." It sounded to me like cottage cheese which I'm not that fond of.

Well, a few years ago at the ND State Fair I finally tried them; Wow! Since then we've gotten an A&W Restaurant to come back to town and they have cheese curds on their menu. I make it a point to get some every once in a while.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I LOVE cheese curds. Luckily since I live in WI I can get them fresh every Saturday at the Farmers Market. There is a local cheesemaker that makes white cheddar cheese curds. They are the best. What cheesemaker did you go to? I know a lot of them do mail orders if you want to get more. They are the best when they are really fresh and squeeky but if they are refrigerated you can just let them come up to room temp and they will get their squeek back. I have heard of some people putting them in the microwave for a few seconds to get the squeek back.

The best way(other than fresh and squeeky) I have had them served was beer battered and fried. You know us WI people like our beer and cheese(and bratwurts). Any excuse to have them all in one dish is great. Beer and cheddar soup is another WI YUMMMM!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Cheese curds are absolutely amazing. Seriously. They're hard to come by here in Ohio, though. A few years ago, the local A&W came out with cheese curds, and they were pretty good for fast food fare. Even a little squeaky. :D

I'm heading to Minnesota late next week, I might have to go trolling for county fairs! :lol:

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
The best way(other than fresh and squeeky) I have had them served was beer battered and fried.
Holy moly........they are so yummy battered and deep fried, but you have to start with good cheese curds first.....none of those fake imitations!

Try them in the microwave for a few sec. then lightly sprinkle with garlic salt!!! :D Yum!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I have never even heard of cheese curds, I must have missed the other thread. Can we even get this in the UK? I have to say I will have to take all your words for it that it tastes good becuase my first thought was "ewwww it looks like cheese flavoured toffee" 8O

·
Registered
981 Posts
They sound good but I dont think we could probally get any good ones in TX. If I am ever on that side of the country I will make it a point to try them! Before today I have never heard of them

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Another thing one can do with cheese curds is make a genuine poutine!! YUMMY!!!!

aphrodeia said:
Cheese curds are absolutely amazing. Seriously. They're hard to come by here in Ohio, though. A few years ago, the local A&W came out with cheese curds, and they were pretty good for fast food fare. Even a little squeaky. :D
Lisa, have you ever made it to any of the Holmes County cheese houses? I have found cheese curds at Heini's before.

I plan to go there sometime at the end of August when I take my next week of vacation. If they do not have any, I will order some from a Wisconsin cheese house (along with some 11yr old Cheddar!!) and make a poutine. I had to settle for a quasi poutine once because I could not find them locally and thus used white cheddar.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Stephie said:
I have never even heard of cheese curds, I must have missed the other thread. Can we even get this in the UK? I have to say I will have to take all your words for it that it tastes good becuase my first thought was "ewwww it looks like cheese flavoured toffee" 8O
Stephie, you are from London, are you not? Then you need to take a trip to Somerset County to some of the cheese houses there. I am sure you can find curds there. Also, you can visit the village of Cheddar.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
I'm glad you tried some while you were here. ;)

They really have to be eaten fresh, though, so perhaps it wouldn't have worked out to buy more. I've found they lose their "squeak" in about 24 hours. They still taste good, but without that squeak they're not quite the same. I've never tried Vanessa's method for getting the squeak back, but it still sounds like not quite the same thing.

I was sad when the little cheese factory near here where I bought them burned down. We're losing little pieces of our distinctiveness bit by bit all over the country. Who wants to go to Atlanta and hear people talk like they're from the Midwest? :?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Donaldjr1969 said:
Stephie said:
Stephie, you are from London, are you not? Then you need to take a trip to Somerset County to some of the cheese houses there. I am sure you can find curds there. Also, you can visit the village of Cheddar.
You can't. It's an American and Canadian thing.

The best cheese is from France anyway.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HersheysKiss said:
What cheesemaker did you go to?
I went to Carr Valley in Mauston. The ladies there were really nice and gave us tons of samples which were all delicious. We bought alot for friends and family as gifts, just not enough for ourselves :( However, we did get the mail order info :)

The lady I bought the curds from gave me the same tip about microwaving them for a few seconds to bring the squeak back. I never got to try it because both bags disappeared so quickly :lol:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
coaster said:
Hard to believe you missed it. Anyway, it started out with potato chips, then went to a number of other snack foods, and ended up being just a nonsense thread:

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21508
:lol: I had forgotten all about that thread until you pointed it out again. There's some funny nonsense stuff in there! LOL

I clicked on the link that Vanessa posted about curds and I was actually kind of bummed to discover that what I thought were the curds is actually not the true thing at all. I've only known the deep-fried cheese curds at either the fair or A&W. Our daycare lady grew up in a town a few miles away from a cheese factory, though, and could attest to the fact that a good cheese curd squeaks when biten. She said that's one of her fond memories of childhood - going to the factory for cheese curds with her Dad. :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts