Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new kitty, Jinks, has an intense desire to chew on hard things, especially wood. He's about a year and a half, so I don't think this is a kitten issue. His favorites are those little wooden sticks you find in room diffusers (luckily the fragrance oil had long dried up), the hard plastic sticks of dangly cat toys, wooden dowels, the corner of my cell phone if he's next to me while I'm holding it, etc. Obviously I'd like to redirect his chewing to something less dangerous/expensive!

The problem is I haven't seen many hard chew toys for cats... it seems like most are soft, for kitties who like to chew catnip mice, socks, etc., and that is not Jinks. Does anyone know of any alternatives that would be similarly satisfying to chewing on wood or hard plastic? Can I give him dog bones (the real animal bone kind, not the bone-shaped treats), or would that be dangerous? I'm assuming if a bone can stand up to a pit bull's jaw without splintering, it could stand up to my 8-pound miniature panther... but I'm not totally sure. I have crunchy dental treats for him already, but I need something I could leave out for him to play with, that he won't actually consume.

Thoughts?? :-?

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
I don't think dog toys or real bones for dogs would be bad for them. They make them extra small for small breeds so I am sure you can find one that is the right size for your little panther. Let me know how it goes. And please post of a picture of Jinxs when you get a chance!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think dog toys or real bones for dogs would be bad for them. They make them extra small for small breeds so I am sure you can find one that is the right size for your little panther. Let me know how it goes. And please post of a picture of Jinxs when you get a chance!
Here he is! :)

jinks.jpg jinks 2.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is gorgeous - and what a long tail!!!!!!!!
I have bought the little chew sticks for Lucky, but he would rather roll them on the tile floor and chase them!
Thanks!! :love2 He does have an incredibly long tail, though I have to say the angle of that photo might exaggerate things a bit, haha.

What chew sticks did you get? Are they for cats?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I buy chew toys designed for small breed puppies for Muffin. He likes a sort of gummy texture, but it also has to be firm. The only chew toy made for cats that has stood up to him is this one: Buy Petstages - OrkaKat Wiggle Worm Cat Toy - CLEARANCE PRICED at LuckyVitamin.com

I bought it at petsmart and he's had it since he was 6months...he's turning 5 on Sunday.

I tried edible chews (duck jerky, chew sticks, ect), but he wasn't interested. They do get raw meat chunks for meals sometimes and all the cars like that. I buy gizzards or chicken necks every few months and those are definitly chomping material.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for these suggestions! I'm definitely going to head to the store this weekend and look for all this stuff to try. You'd think there would be more cat-specific things out there o_O

Sara - I don't think your photo came though :( I'd love to see your little fluffball going at his treats!!

Becky - can you describe the raw meat you give to your kitties and where you get it? I'd love to do that sometimes in addition to their regular diet, especially if it helps with the chewing. Can you buy packages of chicken necks and such at the store, or do you have to be making a whole chicken and take it out somehow? Do you take the skin off first? Can you freeze a whole bunch and thaw them one by one when you need them? How do you keep your kitties from running off with the chicken and getting salmonella all over your house? Sorry for the many questions! I eat meat but I don't prepare it much myself, so I'm totally a fish out of water with this stuff, haha.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Munch eats chicken necks and gizzards too. I nuy them at specialty pet stores or I buy packs of necks and backs at the grocery store. The pet store are organic free range though. The gizzards and chicken hearts I buy at the grocery store. I'll try the pic again... I dunno why it didn't work...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh my god, he is too cute! I love that ferocious mid-bite look he's got going, haha. He and Jinks seem to be of similar body type -- they'd look so cute next to each other, all white and all black! :D

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
in the walgreens pet aisle they have all this dog stuff and hardly anything for cats, so one night a package of those really small rawhide bones was on clearance for a dollar. two of my cats chew on stuff but neither of them gave any of them a second glance or even chased them around so I threw them away.

I think wood is just something they like. mine all chew on any little wood things they can find. I actually had saved extra chopsticks and they loved them. they got pretty chewed up and I haven't been back to the thai restaurant lately but that reminds me lol.

Baci is so weird: if I am eating anything wrapped with that metallic-like plastic (I don't think they wrap food in mylar but that's what it resembles) he will start biting it. he doesn't want what i'm eating, he want to bite the paper! I had a balance bar earlier and he started doing that. the luna wrappers, meh. they have to be shiny.

I would think those duck feet are especially enticing, and pig ears would be too, but i'm a little suspicious of the dog jerky/pig ear treats because something has been in quite a few of them. maybe if you got pig ears that people can eat (yes, there are people who do that. I don't know any of them though lol they would be okay. just nothing from china.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The duck feet are perfectly safe and healthy. The brand I buy is made about an hour and a half from my house, and everything they make is from ingredients sourced within Canada.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts