Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Cat Lovers!

Im a new member and I have a problem with one of my little ones. Her name is Ebony and she is a little over 1 year old. She has a serious obsession with chewing any and all electrical cords!!!!! Im afraid that she will electrocute herself! It has also become very expensive!

Does anybody have any advice for this problem? It would be greatly appreciated!

HELP!!!!

Thanks!
Vannie.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Hi Vannie, welcome to the forum. My Mellie likes to chew cords as well. I've noticed she only chews very thin cords, so I bundle them as much as I can. Some other things that work: wrapping them with duct or electrical tape; putting them inside cord protectors; rubbing them with some citrus-scented product or bitter apple; soaking a cotton ball with citrus-scented oil and putting that near the cords; using a cat-deterrent device such as the ssscat.

The kind of cord protector I like is spiral wrap, which I get at Radio Shack.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I recommend Bitter Yuck. My cats chewed through our phone cord once, and also destroyed one rung of a wooden laundry rack (why? I have no idea). Since applying the Bitter Yuck, there have been no repeat transgressions.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Above is great advice. One other thing...are you sure it's the cord she's chewing and not the warning label? I used to think that Maggie was chewing the cord....turned out it was the labels hanging off them and the cord was just 'collateral damage'. Once I started pulling the tags off...no more chewed cords. Maggie's a weird cat :wink: :roll:

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts
Trying wrapping the cords in foil. I've heard that works. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chewing cords

Hello,

Thanks for all of the great advice everybody! Ebony has no preference between thin or thick cords although she usually gets completely through the thin ones. I have tried bundling them but that was pointless. I will try to find some of the bitter Yuck or the bitter apple and I will check radioshack for the thing to protect them. Ebony is a strange little kitty and we have caught her licking bottles of cleaner when we were using them so im not sure if the taste will bother her! :roll:

Thanks again!
I will keep you posted,
Vannie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts