Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't as serious a problem as the "rough play" I am asking about on the other thread, but it's annoying and a little worrying.

Mammers LOVES to chew the cords on my computer. He often sits under there, happily chewing away. I try chasing him away, using a sharp voice, lightly swatting him, picking him up and throwing him on the couch (try to scare him a little), avoidance spray......nothing seems to work.

I've finally tried to pile all of the cords onto the desk itself, which is really ugly but seems to be working since he can't reach them when he's in his favourite "lair". I also turn the power off to the computer completely by unplugging things when I go to sleep or if I leave the apartment.

Have any of you got ideas as to how to discourage this? He's bitten through some cords so that you can see the gold wires inside them! I don't want to spray water at him when he does it because obviously, if he's chewing through cords down to the wire and I put water on them, it's not a good combination.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Pick up a product called "Bitter Apple". It has a taste that's very unappealing; spray it on the wires and kitty will learn pretty quick that chewing on them is not a good idea.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I had the same problem with Yoda & Dunga when they were little. Now, when we have new baby Maugli - we have this problem again.

I tried Bitter Apple and it didn't help. :(

We bought 'cord cover' from Ikea. It's a plastic 'tube' and you can hide the cords in it. This way, they just chew the plastic and don't touch the cords at all.

We didn't cover all the cords because it's just impossible! they are too many especially for the computer. So...we just watch Maugli and everytime we see her chewing them we would take her away from the place. Sometimes I distruct her - I take a toy and make her to come and play with the toy instead of the cord.

How old is Mammers? He should stop doing it once he gets older. Dunga & Yoda are now almost 10 months old and they are not very interested in cords anymore.

As you said, it's a good idea to turn off the power when you are not there and can't watch what the cat is doing...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's about a year old.....he actually didn't do this when he was younger, it's something that he started once he got a little older.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, Fergus used to be an avid cord-chewer, until I discovered "wire loom jacket" from Menard's, and encased all of my chords in those around the house. Another trick that has worked extremely well (because bitter apple didn't do anything for my situation either), is coating the cords lightly in either dishsoap, or tabasco sauce. This pretty much took care of the problem immediately.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL I can just picture my cat's poor, confused face if I did that.

I might look into plastic casing for the cords but a bitter/nasty tasting coating might help solve the problem permanently (and solve his occasional cord-chewing in other areas of my apartment).

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
wookie130 said:
Another trick that has worked extremely well (because bitter apple didn't do anything for my situation either), is coating the cords lightly in either dishsoap, or tabasco sauce.
I should try the dishsoap! But isn't it dangerous for them?

Luftballoons, maybe 'play therapy' would help for your kitty. Do you play with him every day? Maybe he feels bored and that's the reason he goes for the wires.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm starting to play with him a lot more, especially in the mornings and at night before bed, but it might take a bit to see if it makes a difference :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If Bitter Apple and soap don't work, then it's time to bring out the Big Gun: Tabasco sauce. I've never known a cat that would chew through that! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts