Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, my cat has had diarrhea....and I've originally isolated the issue to feeding too much Blue Buffalo Spa Select Chicken (too rich?) so I switched to Natures Verity Instinct Chicken.

<old>Blue Buffalo's Spa Select Chicken/Turkey
<previous>Natures Verity Instinct Chicken
<current>Natural Balance LID Chicken and Pea

After trying several verities I'm beginning to think he may have a problem with poultry.

However, if feed a Blue Buffalo or Natures Variety (chicken/dry) exclusively the diarrhea will go away.

I've fed Natures Variety canned duck for two days and noticed that the stool firm up. However when I went back to chicken the following day he had violent diarrhea.

I'm about to return all of his cans of Chicken but wanted your advice first.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
67 Posts
As some of you know, my cat has had diarrhea....and I've originally isolated the issue to feeding too much Blue Buffalo Spa Select Chicken (too rich?) so I switched to Natures Verity Instinct Chicken.

<old>Blue Buffalo's Spa Select Chicken/Turkey
<previous>Natures Verity Instinct Chicken
<current>Natural Balance LID Chicken and Pea

After trying several verities I'm beginning to think he may have a problem with poultry.

However, if feed a Blue Buffalo or Natures Variety (chicken/dry) exclusively the diarrhea will go away.

I've fed Natures Variety canned duck for two days and noticed that the stool firm up. However when I went back to chicken the following day he had violent diarrhea.

I'm about to return all of his cans of Chicken but wanted your advice first.

Thoughts?
Is there any reason for why he should be fed exclusively chicken? (or chicken by-products in the form of factory produced cat food, that is) I always heard that variety is the best with a cat, and since he doesn't seem to do well with poultry, then the best is try other options (and keep a nice varied diet for him).

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
If you suspect chicken is the culprit try eliminating it. There are lots of chicken free, high quality foods. As you know, Natural Balance makes a Duck & Green pea food. They also have a venison formula. There are also rabbit formulas from other manufacturers. Any novel protein will help narrow down the source of the problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chicken is the human-default protein around here so that's why I went with it. Where can I find out the pro's cons of other proteins? For example I read that fish proteins cause a more lively poo odor..etc

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I purchased a few cans of Natural Balance Duck and Pea, and Natures Variety Lamb. I fed him the Lamb today and he took 3 breaks while eating - not sure if he liked it.

I almost purchased Natural Balance Pea and Duck dry but put it back on the rack once I realized that peas were the first ingredient - I'm not sure if that's good.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I purchased a few cans of Natural Balance Duck and Pea, and Natures Variety Lamb. I fed him the Lamb today and he took 3 breaks while eating - not sure if he liked it.

I almost purchased Natural Balance Pea and Duck dry but put it back on the rack once I realized that peas were the first ingredient - I'm not sure if that's good.
It's not. Try to stick with canned foods. The first FEW ingredients should be meat based. Try to stick to whole meats, not necessarily meals. The first few ingredients should be meat because cats are carnivores. For the life of me, I don't understand why they even bother putting plant material in cat food...but that's my opinion.

Canned Cat Food | PetSmart

The first several of the products are great products. Meat based. Grain free. You just have to look at the ingredients to make sure it's really chicken free.

Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all. Today he pooped and it was solid. *Sigh*... He's still eating dry natures veriety/blue buffalo chicken. For some reason its chicken-wet that causes the diarrhea.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Wasn't sure if I read right, did you have a problem when he was on Nature's Variety Instinct canned Chicken?

Well, I also agree that variety is the key for both pickiness and allergies. My guys are on constant rotation for the canned breakfast (Nature's Variety Instinct with occasional brand rotation of Wellness Core and Go!) (Protein rotation: venison, duck, lamb, chicken, or turkey) so they get a different one each morning. They are also fed raw for dinner (chicken and/or beef, quail) which could also be a different protein from the morning. For the bedtime snack, I am feeding Nature's Variety raw bison. So lots of variety! They eat all of them readily.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Another reason for a rotation of proteins is that feeding 1 protein exlcusively long term can result in the development of an allergy to that protein. This usually happens with chicken and beef since they are readily available proteins that are in lots of foods. This is not something that would happen to every cat, but it does happen to some. I 3rd or 4th the opinion to stop feeding chicken and try something else.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ehh he didnt like Natures Veriety Lamb but is enjoying Natural Balance Duck and Pea. I'll try to mix in a few others but my options are limited locally.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I fed him a half a can of Natural Balance Duck and Pea yesterday, but he had diarrhea this morning. Oh no!

I found out that someone gave him a kibble sized piece of freeze dried chicken as a treat. I dont think that was enough to cause two rounds of diarrhea in one day.

We will feed another day of Natural Balance Duck and Pea (no chicken treats!) and see how it goes.

Im beginning to think that the issue more about wet quantity and/or "richness" than it is "chicken". I previously had another thread where Blue Buffalo chicken caused diarrhea when fed in 1/2 5.5oz can portions. When I reduced it to 1/3 5.5oz can per day+kibble on the side the issue went away. This caused me to switch brands, and eventually question chicken.

He is a 9 month old, 9lb Bengal. Perhaps half a 5.5oz can is simply too much wet?

Where should I go form here?

·
Registered
3 Posts
we had a cat that was allergic to chicken. He had diarrhea and the lower 'inner' eyelid use to skim up when it was acting up. Took him off any chicken food and it wasn't a problem again.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
My guy didn't have any of that. Just itching..constant baldness inducing itching... and of course the massive ear infections from constantly digging in his ears with his back claws.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Leon had a simiar problem

My boyfriend’s cat Leon had the same problem with diarrhea and actually vomiting too - and it turned out he was allergic to chicken. I helped pick out a new cat food for him and we tried Natural Balance Green Pea & Salmon dry food because my friend suggested it – and Leon loved it! No chicken in it and very healthy ingredients. It’s specifically for cats that don't do well with certain ingredients. The funny thing is – now that I found this food – my boyfriend complains that Leon likes me better than him! I’m just glad Leon is doing so great on this food. He’s an awesome kitty! Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts