Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm experimenting with some dog chicken jerky as a diversion and treat for Toby and tried to find something with the least amount of non-chicken stuffin it.I found one that has Chicken breast, Vegetable glycerin, and "natural flavors"

I feed Toby EVO 95 - grain and fruit free.

I can't imagine there's anything in here that's bad (at least not compared to the lower grade cat foods)

I guess my only question is about the vegetable glycerin. Does anyone know about this?

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Glycerin is used as a preservative and moisture retainer...nothing major to be worried about. Natural flavorings can be sourced from just about any food type product, so if you have any concerns about Toby's diarrhea being based on food allergies you'd want to keep in mind that the natural flavoring may not necessarily be chicken sourced.

One thing to note is that many of the chicken breast strips are sourced out of China and the FDA recently issued a warning about them. Make sure you're using US sourced and manufactured chicken jerky or one that has proper quality controls in place...two of the China source products I trust are Dogswell and Cadet. The cost of the US products is about 50% higher than the China products.

FDA Continues to Caution Dog Owners About Chicken Jerky Products

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
One thing to note is that many of the chicken breast strips are sourced out of China and the FDA recently issued a warning about them. Make sure you're using US sourced and manufactured chicken jerky or one that has proper quality controls in place...two of the China source products I trust are Dogswell and Cadet. The cost of the US products is about 50% higher than the China products.
Any similar advice about Turkey, duck, or other jerkys?

EDIT: I saw that Petco carries the Dogswell so I can go there. Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Yes...the other proteins have the same concerns.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see the that the Dogswell only seems to come in varieties with Flaxseed & vitamins, Glucosamine & Chondroitin, or Mint & Parsley. Should these be okay?

I don't mean to be overly anal. I'm sure there are other things I'm not doing "right", but I try to take make the right decisions when I can.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
Do the Vitality (flaxseed) there's not that much in there. Another brand to look at is Smokehouse...some of their product is US made, look for the labeling.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'll order that dehydrator, as it should pay for itself in a few months.

Also, just came from the pet store, you know the type that sells the premium $2 and $3 brand cans. They also had the Dogswell/Catwell. I mentioned my concern about made in China, she said they only sell stuff they've tested or know about - but really, what else would she say

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still couldn't find much not made in China.

Interesting, I found some "turkey strips" made by Canyon Creek Ranch. They only have Turkey, Sugar (huh?), and Salt (what?). It seems to be processed and pressed.

But what's interesting is that this product is made in the USA, but their actual jerky is indeed made in China.

·
Premium Member
18,382 Posts
The Smokehouse USA strips do not contain BHA/BHT. I wouldn't have them in my store if they did.

And yes, I stated in my original post that Dogswell is made in China. There are many, many brands of chicken strips that are made in China. Out of all of them, I feel that Dogswell is one of the few that has the quality controls in place that will help ensure the product is safe. Is it guaranteed? No...but look at Merrick...their products are US made and how many recalls have they had for salmonella in their dog treats in the last couple years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts