Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to give cats chicken leg or chicken drumstick bones? I just have so much and if they are actually able to eat it then can it be 10% of their bones for the day? I know they can't handle beef bones but I figured any type of bone from a chicken was fine. Or is it specifically the chicken neck and chicken wings that are edible? Just making sure. Don't want them to choke.

Today I fed them a quarter of cornish game hen in the morning and then chicken boneless meat with a piece of beef kidney. Then tomorrow it will be beef heart with chicken liver and beef meat with a chicken neck.

Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would think they'd be too big.. jango will just eat the meat off thigh bones and leave the bone, which is about the same size... I would guess it'd be too hard to bite through for a cat mouth and might result in tooth breakage or choking or something bad. I think generally neck and wing and ribs are all given because they're more of a flexible bone.. I don't think I'd give any chicken bones at all, personally, because I don't believe that my 7lb kit could kill a chicken if it was in the wild, and that's what I use for a guide.

though I do know that some people feed all chicken bones and have great success.. so I'm not necessarily discouraging, I'm just giving my opinion. if you really wanted to use them.. maybe you could get them ground up or something?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grounding them up would be pointless. Yeah I figured they'd be too harsh on their teeth. I'll just stick to necks, ribs and wings. They seem to like those.

·
Banned
2,748 Posts
I've got one cat who can chew through a DS--most cannot. I see no reason not to feed the drumsticks, though. Just don't expect them to eat the bone. Let them clean all the meat off and consider that a boneless meal. Find something more cat-appropriate for the bone-in meals (cornish game hen, quail, or, if you must, chicken necks).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts